The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

forward facing oil filter housing?

icurunnin

Anyone here remember who sells the forward facing oil filter adapter? Also when using that it is made for external oil cooler correct?

jepherz

Staff member
Actually, '90 DSM oil cooler housings face the same way as a stock vr4 housing and have provisions for an external air to oil cooler. I believe the forward facing filter housing is off NA 4g63's and doesn't have any provisions for cooling, although you could easily use an adapter from summit or the like.

jnz $28

ordered one a little bit ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

icurunnin

so has anyone run one? just want to know if I am going to be able to use it with my stock crappy cooler or if you have to go external when using one.

theres no spot for an oil cooler.

theres one opening. im buying a adapter to run both my oil pressure gauge and oil feed line for my turbo.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting icurunnin:
so has anyone run one? just want to know if I am going to be able to use it with my stock crappy cooler or if you have to go external when using one.

The stock water sandwich? That wouldn't work because non-water cooled housings don't have a detachable filter shaft.

icurunnin

so basically I would run without any oil cooler. gotcha. I dont think the stock does any good any how. I would like the room so its not such a pain to change with a larger down pipe.

spooling92vr4

no.. you absolutely need an oil cooler on the car. I broke my motor in without it.. the oil got super hot and broke down almost immediately.

Struc

Quote:
no.. you absolutely need an oil cooler on the car. I broke my motor in without it.. the oil got super hot and broke down almost immediately.

I highly doubt that was your problem. I've been running without an oil cooler on my turbo'ed 4G64 for about 7 years now. Never had any issues.

spooling92vr4

no.. it was the problem for sure once i changed it all my problems stopped.

CarRacer

If you have an oil cooled turbo, I don't understand how you could get away with not running a cooler. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3rdstrikedsm

I have run many dsm's with this housing and have never had a problem yet.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned