The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

oil filter housing?

race_me89

I have am about to complete my motor portion of my build.
I dont really understand why we have 100 options for oil filter housings.
water cooled, forward facing im looking for advice or feedback on what
i should use for a big turbo daily driver

fuel

100 options?

there's like two uses for VR-4s and DSMs - air to air oil cooled or the water cooled housing which sits the filter horizontally and perhaps a little close to large exhaust downpipes. The Mitsubishi Starion with the G63B has a downward facing oil filter housing with the air to air oil cooler fittings and would perhaps be ideal if you use a short stubby filter, otherwise the D50 truck should use the same housing but without oil cooler fittings.

Personally myself I would just run with the standard VR-4 air to air oil cooler filter housing.

People switch to a forward facing ofh to clear large down pipes. With a large dp it is next to impossible to remove the oil filter for an oil/filter change.

The water cooled filter housing can suck because if you over tighten the filter I believe that you end up crushing some piece inside and you end up mixing water/coolant into your oil.

If you have the money, get a 90 air cooled filter housing and either source a 90 1g dsm cooler with lines (which you will want to clean out really well before install. I personally wouldn't install a used one), or buy a new b&m or mocal (better) with some nice fittings and lines. You can either mount it up on the front lower frame or some people mount it in front of the driver side wheel behind the fog light after they remove their fog light. They use the fog light bumper hole for air source.

There is even the option of using a oil filter relocation piece. Like this:

click

click

Copy and paste this into the search field and you should see many threads with pics:

+oil +filter +housing

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned