The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

pump93 vs E85 - back to back - dragstrip results #139 w/ 14b

NateCrisman

I did something interesting tonight....I ran 3 passes on normal 93 pump gas then drained the tank and put in 5 gallons of E85 for a somewhat back to back test. I was exhausted from working 2nd shift all week and just didn't have the energy to swap on the hoosiers or do any of the weight loss stuff (seats out, exhaust off). I knew the 60' times were going to be horrendous with these bald 215/45/17 decade old kumho H rated tires. Even if I bogged off the line, they would break loose as boost came up in first gear.

I had literally swapped the DSMlink chip in this afternoon and got it working about 4:30pm, so I basically went to the track with a completely untuned car and just winged it. I worked on the VE map 3 times on the way over to the track and got the A/F dialed in and smoothed out the timing curve. So tonight was an experimental night to learn the DSMlink software and screw around with an alcohol fuel for the first time.

Here's the runs:
13.351 @ 104.91 1.812 ~19psi boost.
13.178 @ 104.74 1.853
13.076 @ 105.09 1.814 Last pass on 93 gas
13.009 @ 106.95 1.812 First pass on E85.
12.882 @ 108.49 1.863
12.841 @ 109.06 1.910 (bogged launch)
12.792 @ 108.98 1.771 (spun in first a bit)

No video or pics. I'll post some screen shots and datalogs for anyone intersted in them. I want to see about overlaying the calculated HP/TQ graphs and map sensor between the 93 and E85 runs.
Last time I ran #139 it went 12.0 @ 113 ..the difference being: hoosier traction and rotating weight loss, about 150lb lighter, racegas, and maybe 1.5 to 2psi higher average boost.

Nate

How big of injectors are you using for the E85?

Good data for comparison. Nothing quite like a back to back test at the strip to get a feel for something's effectiveness.

NateCrisman

Im running a walbro 255 "non-hp" intank pump, -6 feed line with a cheap Russel -6 filter, and 750cc FIC injectors. Aeromotive FPR set to 40psi base. I was seeing 62% duty cycle on pumpgas and about 80% on E85. One of my other goals for tonight, aside from learning the DSMlink software, was to get a starting point map to use in the yellow 1g when it's ready to go. Now I have a map I can stick in there and know the car will start/run/drive and go down the track without major screwing around on E85.

belize1334

hm, 80% IDC at 19psi on e85... what was your target AFR?

NateCrisman

Quoting donniekak:
Did you add any timing to the e85 runs?

yes, I put about 3 degrees in total compared to what I was running on pumpgas. I by no means had the tune maxed out on E85, since this was the first time running it and the first time tuning with DSMlink. I was happy to have just installed the software and got the car running down the track decently within a couple of hours.

NateCrisman

Quoting belize1334:
hm, 80% IDC at 19psi on e85... what was your target AFR?

I'd have to go back and look at the logs on my windows laptop, so Ill post the logs asap. easy to download the link software just to look at the logs. On E85 I had raised the boost up to about 24psi falling to 20psi. A/F ratio was in the high 10's on E85 on the gasoline scale wideband. (yes I know I had room to lean it out more)

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Ack! drove GVR4 over to the shop this morning to meet possiblevr4 for parts and unload the tool box, gas cans, and track stuff, it wasn't making much boost and felt sluggish. On the way home, I got on it on one straight road...it made 20psi for about a second than a "snap" sound and then no boost. Just smoke. I got it home, pulled the intake, and the comp wheel/shaft is flopping around like the bearing is totally wasted.

Hindsight 20/20 note: I'v been running the AEM boost controller on the A setting at 65% duty cycle for my pumpgas everyday setting and using the B setting for racetrack. It used to be about 20-21psi on the A...but I was only seeing 19-18psi on my first 3 runs. Then when I put the E85 on, I switched over to the B setting of 73% which hasn't been touched or used since the 12.0 @ 113 night when it was making 26psi falling to about 22. Last night that barely made 21psi at all. I turned it up to 85% over those 4 runs which only got me 24psi falling to 20. Guess it just didn't right the bell that I was running more boost controller duty cycle than last time and seeing less boost. Bet the turbo was eating itself last night at the track.

And wouldn't you know it...I sold the last 14b I had this morning to possiblevr4!

sixsixtwo

Sorry to hear about the turbo. Good to hear that my ECMlink is going to some good use instead of just sitting on my shelf collecting dust!

NateCrisman

Pulled the poor overworked and under-paid 14b off tonight to find this:
906800288_8bCEV-L.jpg

Snapped off TDO5H turbine wheel. notice the chips, it's all beat up from contacting the turbine housing.
906800747_tiJS3-L.jpg

The results of the wheel/housing contact: Im going to have to grab the dremel and some sandpaper flap wheels and try to get rid of the burrs so the next cartridge spins free. Sucks, as this was a nicely ported E3 7cm housing. I would have had it put together tonight if not for these burrs.
906800670_wTR39-L.jpg

Oh...I see what's missing! I'v got a used small 16g that Im going to slap on tomorrow after smoothing out the turbine housing without removing it from the car. Should be interesting to see what the 16g compressor wheel is worth compared to the 14b with no other changes.
906800495_Wvqrg-L.jpg

Nartanian

Now that's just scary. Time for me to turn the boost down. I heard E85 produces more torque than pump gas at the same psi. Seems like that had an impact on your time slips.

NateCrisman

Screwing around trying to figure out how to overlay charts exported from link logs. This is the best pumpgas vs the best E85 run in 3rd gear. Ideally to make a "dyno chart", I would get better info doing a full pull to redline in 3rd gear but all I'v got is dragstrip logs. so...it illustrates the point that the E85 tune/boost/fuel makes significantly more area under the curve, hence the mph gain. The E85 made way more power in the area that boost spiked up higher, but the power difference tappers off with rpm since I'm at the limit of the turbo. With a turbo that could hold boost to redline, you would see that difference in power held out the whole way. Taking that theory out....the larger the turbocharger, the more there is to gain from better fuel.

907909862_iQpZx-X3.jpg

Launch

Exceed mechanical limits much? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Wonder what shaft speed you were running around?

NateCrisman

Ehhhh....Im not sure what's up now. Iv had a slight tapping sound that got very bad all of a sudden last week after swapping the 16g in and going for a test drive. It's tap locked to engine rpm. goes lighter when clutch is pushed in. goes away when #1 plug wire or injector wire is off. I pulled the valve cover to look for a broke lifter/rocker/spring on cyl #1...nothing. Im in middle of pulling the engine to see what's going on, but Im about 99.75% sure it's a bad rod bearing on #1. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

This motor came out of the rusty white GVR4 I parted last fall, I'v got about 1400 miles on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif So looks like #139 is getting yet another engine swap. (Im swapping engines before I do oil changes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif )

So Im wondering if bearing material in the oil played a part in the 14b demise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned