The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Exhaust question

There's a large leak in the downpipe/frontpipe on 1899, enough so that it requires replacement. I've heard and read that both 1G/2G pipes should work. The entire exhaust system needs an upgrade which I will get to eventually, but as I am jobless at the moment (and a college student), such a thing is simply not in the cards. Doing a search of local automotive "junk" yards has turned up no such parts, however. Does anyone know where I could get a stock 1G/2G downpipe which would correctly match up to the stock system? eBay even turns up nothing except 3" systems.

belize1334

The reason that 2G pipes are popular is that they are longer so you can do away with the cat/test pipe. Running one of those will require you to modify your oem exhaust system (if that's what you have). I have a stock GVR-4 downpipe that you could have for super cheap if you just want to slap it on as a replacement. Otherwise I'd get a 1G pipe since it won't require elimination of your cat etc.

All right, good to know about the 2G. Yeah, I just need a replacement pipe for a few months until I can afford a complete turbo-back exhaust upgrade. What would be the price for that stock GVR-4 downpipe you have? And if I went with a 1G replacement, hypothetically, would that require any modification, or would that be a simple matchup?

belize1334

I found my certified muffler 2.5" dp to be exactly the same length and shape as my oem downpipe but you may run into issues with the bolt holes on the flange being too big. You definitely won't be able to get a 3" dp (the most common size) to bolt up. If you want my oem dp I'll give it to you for $20 + shipping. It's not very heavy but it is a little long so shipping might be another $20.

2of9

the 1g is a direct bolt on. I have the 3" dowpipe from a 1g and there are no modifications you'd need. even the 1g test pipe will work.

Quoting Silvertooth:
There's a large leak in the downpipe/frontpipe on 1899, enough so that it requires replacement. I've heard and read that both 1G/2G pipes should work. The entire exhaust system needs an upgrade which I will get to eventually, but as I am jobless at the moment (and a college student), such a thing is simply not in the cards. Doing a search of local automotive "junk" yards has turned up no such parts, however. Does anyone know where I could get a stock 1G/2G downpipe which would correctly match up to the stock system? eBay even turns up nothing except 3" systems.

Sorry to hear about your issue money is tight for everyone. But I will have a full turbo back exhasut for sale in a week(Cheap). Or I could just sell you the downpipe. PM..

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned