The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

exhaust question

NickDromez

I want a full 3" exhaust and I know I'm gonna need a new downpipe. My question is, will a 3" downpipe fit a stock Turbo? And which downpipes are a good choice? I've heard alot of good things about the Megan racing 2g awd downpipe. Thanks

NickDromez

To add to my question, will a Megan racing Turbo outlet. Benefit me aswell?

2of9

I doubt a 2g exhaust system will fit. For a after market downpipe, just make sure it's from a 1g awd. Yes, a 3" downpipe will "fit" the stock turbo. from the hotside of the turbo, it's the o2 housing->downpipe->testpipe->exhaust system...well...that's basically the whole exhaust system.

AnotherNewb

Megan DP are nice, as are their O2 housings. Im running both on a 2g tel. Pacesetter has a 3" DP on ebay for like $75 shipped, one is going on 1947 as soon as it warms up, already have it sitting at the house. Its a pretty nice pipe for not being stainless steel, its steel with their armor coating, which BTW will turn dull grey after heating up. My only complaint about the MEGAN Racing DPs is that the shrink back down to 2.5 before the cat, the pacesetters are 3" at the cat with no flange, but it comes with a slip on 2.5" flange if you need it. A stock O2 housing will fit the DP but an aftermarket O2 housing fits better, ie bigger outlet. I'm planning on porting out a stock O2 for 1947's set up. Also most DPs are a 2.5 inlet that swells to 3".

citymunky

I just installed a 3" Pacesetter (1g AWD), I got it new from eBay for under $90 shipped.
My thread

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

The 2g AWD Megan downpipe fits like a glove. I installed it on 611 and it bolted right up to the o2. It is a longer so it deletes the cat. You get more pipe for the money. I installed the PNR on my 1g GSX in the past and its closer to 3Z" closer to the o2 but it was very close to the oil pan.

raptorWagon

Quoting 2of9:
I doubt a 2g exhaust system will fit. For a after market downpipe, just make sure it's from a 1g awd. Yes, a 3" downpipe will "fit" the stock turbo. from the hotside of the turbo, it's the o2 housing->downpipe->testpipe->exhaust system...well...that's basically the whole exhaust system.

Actually the combo is a 2g downpipe with a 1g catback. If you search into older threads, 2g downpipes fit better than 1g downpipes. Obviously you couldn't use a 2g cat back system since their exhaust exits the other opposite side of a GVR4.

AnotherNewb

Quoting citymunky:
I justed installed a 3" Pacesetter (1g AWD), I got it new from eBay for under $90 shipped.
My thread

Thats the thread that inspired me to go Pacesetter. How is it this far?

NickDromez

ok so im getting that the 2g fits good. what about the turbo outlet? will a 2g turbo outlet fit a stock turbo?

NickDromez

also, sorry if this is a stupid question, but im not 100% sure of what the turbo outlet even does or where it attaches to. would someone be nice enough to explain this a little? thanks

Adorsey

Looks like there has been some beating around the bush here.
Stock turbo? yup
Stock O2 housing? yup

Will the bolts line up if I use a 1g dp, or a 2g? yup.

Can I use a 2g full exhaust system? no
What about a 1g setup? That may work but I have no clue.

Good luck guy

Keep in mind that Nick needs to run a cat due to his location. THe 2g dp will eliminate the cat.

Quoting anothernewb:
"Megan DP are nice, as are their O2 housings. Im running both on a 2g tel."

Actually it's a tsudo downpipe on the GSX. The rest of the components are Megan except for the high flow magnaflow cat. FTR.....Other than the discoloration of the headers, they've held up fine too. I know alot of guys have had trouble with pacesetter headers.

AnotherNewb

Too many years ago....
Is my memory supposed to be this crappy at 27?

We have a legitimate reason for the memory loss I guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

AnotherNewb

I guess smoking too much memory suppresant will do that to you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

citymunky

Quoting AnotherNewb:
Quoting citymunky:
I justed installed a 3" Pacesetter (1g AWD), I got it new from eBay for under $90 shipped.
My thread

Thats the thread that inspired me to go Pacesetter. How is it this far?

The welds looked good, I like the fact that it's 3" from the flange. Being that I'm in VA, I need to have a Cat to pass State Inspection, so the 1g is perfect for me.

1990ggsxnj

Quoting AnotherNewb:
Too many years ago....
Is my memory supposed to be this crappy at 27?

Mine was gone at 25... you're ahead of the curve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned