The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Exhaust manifold Studs

prove_it

Yes, I've searched. Read about the BMW studs and saturn studs. My questions are:

Are stainless steel studs really better? (more of an opinion)
and
What about using stainless studs with OEM copper lock nuts? Would they slip or corrode?

I ask about using the OEM nuts because the have a built in washer and the lock. Also from my searching I found the site ssstuds.com and they offer a stainless stud with copper nut combo. So is it better, what are the advantages and disadvantages of copper on stainless, and using stainless on stainless?

CutlassJim

I went with the full SS 2G set when I was putting 797 together 3 years ago and they are now the only thing in the car not rusted and came off super easy.

bigblock4g63

i use arp stuff you can get them for $105.00 shipped

Last edited:

prove_it

Stainless steel studs

Jepherz mentioned that link in some previous threads. I ordered a set and he swears by them. Hope they preform well.

CutlassJim

I just said I had them and they are awesome screw Jepherz! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GreenGSX

The One Lap VR4 uses stock studs with stainless flat washers and stainless nuts. I torque them down, heat cycle them a for a few days and then snug them up again. Haven't broken a stud or lost a nut in years. The important part is to brace the down pipe to the block. I welded a tab on mine that I connect to the factory point.

Dan D

My vote is for oem studs and nuts with all the holes reworked with a timesert. Did that many years ago and haven't had a problem with loose, broken or stuck hardware since.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned