The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Longer wheel studs

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I am thinking I would like slightly longer wheel studs on the GVR4 since I am running some wheel spacers. The spacers are only 5 mm, but when I put on the wheels, I am not comfortable with how little engagement I have. I have to measure it yet with an open lug nut to get the exact length. I don't want much longer ones because I don't want to use open-ended lug nuts on a normal basis.

I have seen some slightly longer studs for a Toyota Celica application that have the correct knurl size, but they are really pricey. The Evo ones are too long. Has anyone installed slightly longer studs, and have a source?

Reference: http://www.arp-bolts.com/Catalog/Catalog.PDF/ARPCatalog_0066.pdf

Thanks.

kartorium

This would be helpful to me as well, Eventually I will install longer studs in the front.

I currently run 5mm spacers in the rear and have plenty of stud to work with, but for the front I have less for some reason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I can't remember if I put longer ones in the back or what. Anyways, a good source for these would be sweet!

Gimpin

Do you still have 4 lug hubs with ABS? If so keep in mind replacing wheel studs is no simple task ... requires removing the wheel bearing. If you have 5 lug please disregard.

**Edit** I didn't look at who posted this before replying .... I am betting you already know this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

I use the ARP ones for the Evo on my car but I also use open end lug nuts.

Daryl

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting kartorium:
This would be helpful to me as well, Eventually I will install longer studs in the front.

I currently run 5mm spacers in the rear and have plenty of stud to work with, but for the front I have less for some reason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I can't remember if I put longer ones in the back or what. Anyways, a good source for these would be sweet!

Yeah Karter, that is interesting. It seems the same way to me too. Maybe stock they are longer in the rear or the flange is thinner, because the parts catalog lists the same length. It's the front fit I don't like also.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting Gimpin:
Do you still have 4 lug hubs with ABS? If so keep in mind replacing wheel studs is no simple task ... requires removing the wheel bearing. If you have 5 lug please disregard.

**Edit** I didn't look at who posted this before replying .... I am betting you already know this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yes sir, fully aware. I have FWD non abs front hubs and knuckles on the car now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

KT

KYO-EI 52mm Wheel Studs from RRE

I know I bought them there, but can't find it on their website anymore.

KT

Dialcaliper

You might also try "Racing Brake", an aftermarket brake manufacturer. I just found out recently that they make 150 ksi heat treated studs for the Evo 8/9 for use in Group N rally. Galants and DSM's use the same studs. They make them in stock length (25mm or so I think) and +14mm - shorter than the ARP or KYO studs, but long enough for modest spacers.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Thanks for the pointer to Racing Brake. Those studs look about right, but they are as expensive as the ARP Celica pieces (IIRC). Anyhoo, great site that I will use again in the future.

DR1665

$70 does sound kinda steep for ten wheel studs. If you're gonna be pounding the car, it might just be worth it, but hopefully there's some kind of OE alternative out there.

Stupid Newbie Question: Couldn't you just snap up some of the longer Evo bits and cut them down? I realize this introduces heat stress, but it's a thought. :shrug

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Actually, it is cheaper than the Celica ones. I have searched for OE alternatives and struck out so far.

I have considered the shortening. I guess I will again.

Hertz

Staff member
Quick threadjack... Dave, what lug nuts do I need for those DSM 5 bolt hub + Evo Enkei wheels? IIRC the tuner lugs on there are acorn but the wheels are flat?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
As Jeff said. I've got more if you need some.

nrvous

I believe we have some wheel studs available, if you want us to press them out. I had them on the front of 187/1000, as I needed to use spacers for the Baer brakes and my original wheels. They are sitting in the hubs in Tim's garage since we converted to the 5 lug. Yes, I only had the fronts done, because I am that lazy. It would get you halfway there if you are interested.

I had bought them originally from RRE.

Stephen

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned