The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine Scrub a dub dub

So anyone have any effective tactics to cleaning an engine. I got the engine bay cleaned up pretty good on the galant with a pressure washer and purple power. I just pulled a motor out of a DSM 1G that I am donating to the Galant and its really gunked up. Last night I used a small scrub brush a hose and some purple power seemed to minimize it some but made more of a mess than anything...Any thoughts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Scrape off what you can with a putty knife first, then use degreasers. I just did a transmission and transfer case using Gunk Engine bright (works pretty good on aluminum). I have used Simple green and Purple Power also before. Hard to scrub off when it is really thick, that's why I scrape first.

I use old toothbrushes for small hard to get spots.

Polish

I'd soak it in Simple Green then spray it all off with a pressure washer.

Obviously make sure you don't spray the CAS or anything else sensitive if it's still on the motor.

Alright I will try the putty knife and gunk stuff and then go back to the degreasers. This looks like it could be time consuming, but it beats getting covered in crap everytime you pop your hood.

solidviper89

I cleaned and repainted some brackets while they were out I know its not the whole engine but it would be a similar process. I used a wire wheel and it got into most of it and even some of the tight spaces, then I soaked them in a bucket of engine degreaser for about a month, afterward I sprayed them off with brake cleaner. I used BBQ paint to cover up the metal, works great so far and they have held for a little over a year now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

chucklesas

I find that orange degreaser stuff works really well, just have to let it sit for a while, then scrub.

Struc

img.php

89Mirageman

If the engine is still together I 2nd the degreaser/pressure washer method. Just cover anything electrical with a plastic bag and some tape.

Dialcaliper

The obsessive compulsive people over at Autopia usually have pretty good advice, even if they do go a little overboard at times. (ie, you don't really need to go into the "motor wax/protectant" stuff at the bottom, unless you're prepping a show car.)

Also, a personal note, I find the CRC stuff in the blue/red cans works as well or better than the "Gunk" brand stuff.

The cliff's notes: Mask electronics with aluminum foil, ziploc baggies, tape, etc. Start engine, warm up until moderately hot (you should still be able to touch it with bare hands). Spray engine down with degreaser, and maybe a brush, starting from the bottom and working up. Let sit 5 minutes or so, and hose down the engine bay. Close the hood and let things steam a bit. Pop it open, dry everything you can down with a towel/air/wet-dry vac. Let everything dry for a bit. Once it's dry, unmask everything, and clean off your sensors with some quick-drying "electronics-safe cleaner" to clean the sensors, and displace any water than might have gotten in. Let the car sit for an hour or so, and then start and warm it up again to make sure everything dries.

Last edited:

Lots of good info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here is what the engine that I just pulled out looks like after a little bit of cleaning last night. (trust me it is ten times better than it was). this could take awhile...

And this is the tranny i have to use from the old motor. CAn you say gunk? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Olson

dawn soap dave.
If you need simple green i have a 55 gal drum here that i can hook you up with :p

Well I put a dent on both tranny's...Loaded both of them up on the trailer went to the car wash used the pressure washer, Engine brite, oven cleaner, and a scrub brush. Note to self dont stand right next to greasy object when spraying high pressure water at it..it gets all over you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Olson

looks good man

turbowop

Make sure you flush both of those really well with fresh gear oil before running them. Water can seep its way in through places like the top vent and it doesn't take much to make it shift like sh*t.

BoostedAWD91

if u have a white car, Bleach White works AMAZING!!!!!
thats what i used in my engine bay and what a difference.
Before Picture
img.php

After Bleach White and some elbow grease
img.php

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned