The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine bay paint opinions

Defiant

I'm about to start working on my engine bay and I'm looking for some options.

I want to paint the bay black (white car) with something that will hold up good and won't scratch easy. I've been thinking about bed liner in a spray can.
I had a buddy who pulled all the heat/sound barrier up from under the carpet and spray it with the rustoleum bed liner and it looked good. But if I don't like it, it's gonna be a bitch to remove it.

What do you guys thing about using that in the engine bay?

What have y'all used?

rdomeck

Very bad idea......You will never keep it clean because it is textured. Plus it's a heavy product. Find an automotive paint store and buy a quart for single stage paint in your color. Paint code should be W09 for Summit white. Go buy a cheap paint gun from Lowes or Harbour Freight and spray some good product on there.

I prefer PPG products and the Concept single stage is a very good product. The Shop Line isn't to bad either, but if you can afford it go with the Concept line. You could expect to pay under a $100 for the paint and hardener. You could use reducer in it, but in an engine bay I wouldn't worry about it. You will end up with a little bit more orange peel, but less likely that you will put any runs in it! If you can find a cheap gun with a 1.5 or larger tip would be better.

Good luck!

EHmotorsports

Painting with a spray gun will defenitly get you the best results. but if you don't have a compressor or gun. The paint store can mix and put them into cans for an added cost.

EMX5636

I've only seen a few cars that I think look good with a colored body and a black bay. Most of them, only the firewall was painted a semi-gloss black, and the sides/rad supports/strut towers etc were fresh painted body color. When I had my engine bay done, it was all removed and sprayed white. I love it, makes it look so clean even though I still have a lot of stuff bolted in there.

wildman24

When i did mine, I went to an automotive paint store and had them mix up a pint of factory paint and had it put into 3 aerosol cans. It was only 70 bucks. I cleaned and prepped the engine bay and it turned out great!

Vr4junkie

Im Planning on doing the same thing to my engine bay if any thing i might go with Dupli-Color there usually about 6-7 bucks a can at your parts store. But black should look good I wanna go with a black metallic high temp if they sell it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts