The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

engine removal

LordAthey

I have removed a couple engines in these cars. I was wondering if its easier just to pull the motor nd leave the tranny in? or just drop the whole motor and tranny (this is the way I usually do it).

boostedinaz

I have found it easier to just pull them both at the same time.

The times i have done it was pulling the tran first but takes more time probably an extra 45minutes if u were not in a rush

moduleunknown

I pulled them up and out together once and the power steering lines running to the rear rack got in the way. PITA. From that point on I've always separated the two to make things easier on myself.

Now those lines are long gone and I still separate the two. I just think it's easier, but that's my opinion.

SouthCaliVR4

when I did mine I took the whole thing out the bottom, of course hoist required for this particular method /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cspetros

I have found that when removing the engine with the transmission attached, it is easiest to hoist the entire mass at an angle, with the transmission being the low point. If you get the angle right, the engine will clear the power steering lines on the drivers side of the engine bay, and the transmission will clear the body on the passenger side.

Here is a pic from when I was hoisting my rebuilt engine into my N/A Galant GS. In the picture, that angle is not quite enough (I had trouble with clearance). A slightly sharper angle would be best.

Also, it is good to have a chain connected to the transmission itself, so the extra weight of the trans. doesn't overload the stock lift points (which were designed for lifting just the engine, if I'm not mistaken).

This is the way I have done it, and it works. Others probably have different ways too. Hope this helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

broxma

Out the top complete solo without a load spreader.

Back in complete into a freshly painted bay, not a scratch, the same way.

Reason? It is easier to put the tranny on the engine out of the car than in. The time you save by not removing the tranny or taking it off first, is negated by the ease of doing so with the motor on the floor, out of the car, or on a stand....in my opinion.

/brox

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned