The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Pull engine out? or pull car off engine? 91 awd galant

#1458 1991 Galant VR4. I have removed all the hoses and wires off the motor the mounts are still intact and im just trying to figure out if i should pull the motor out of the car or pull the car off the motor.. im not looking for easy i just want to know which one is simpler and more practical if you had photographs of any 4g63 being removed it would be extremley helpful thanks!

rgeier11

Get a cherry picker. Remove the transmission from the engine and set it on the ground. Now, use the cherry picker to lift the engine out of the bay. I have found this to be the easiest.

+1 to tranny on the ground and engine up and out. This is what we did when 1947 got a new heart, and it worked great. With couple guys and some munipulating, the engine can be dropped in with tranny attached.

rgeier11

With the trans attached, make sure to remove the reverse light switch that is sticking out of the trans, it will hit the rail. Also, I wouldn't have any accessories attached either. Those are easy enough to install with the engine in. I would suggest installing the engine, then bolting up the trans.

I use a cherry picker to lift the trans up off the ground and then help guide it while attaching it to the engine.

dmj

Pull it together it saves time. remember to remove both lower crossmembers. when using the cherry picker make sure to tilt the tranny side lower to clear the frame when lifting the engine and trans together. I man operation. I removed and installed mine by myself.good luck.

Dan D

I haven't put it back in yet, but when I pulled them, I pulled them together. A cherry picker and a hand crank load leveler allow you to get it out pretty easy by yourself. I pulled it with the turbo/ex many, all accesories attached. Just go slow, keep checking too make sure nothing is still attached, and go slow.

Did I mention to take your time? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

H05TYL

When we did my mates one (which now belongs to 'fuel' on here) we lifted the car up and dropped the engine and trans together out of the bottom.

21-11-07_1805.jpg

grocery_getter

I always pull the tranny and the long block together so much easier and faster.

bmxkid415

When I yanked the motor from 623, coundless number of times I removed them as a pair. A Cherry Picker that allows to tilt the engine/trans helps out a lot. After I had the engine/trans all the way up. I just lowered the front of the car down and slipped it out. It was all pretty simple.

broxma

If you're alone, don't have a cherry picker and have the oil pan already off...

Drop the tranny out the bottom with the three engine mounts still attached. Put a decent shop jack with a 2x6 block under the #2 and #3 positions on the crank between the girdles. Remove the side engine mount and the front engine mount. The engine will balance on that spot held by the rear mount. Remove the bolt holding the rear mount to the chassis, slide the engine forward using the rear mount as a handle while dropping the motor with your right hand on the jack handle. If the head is off and the studs are out it will roll right out the bottom even if the car is sitting on a small set of stands. Roll the motor forward to avoid sitting on the oil pickup mount. Now you can dead lift it onto your engine stand.

If you are alone, as I always am, install is reverse.

/brox

misterfixit

OUt the bottom. always, can do it on your lonesome, don't need to pull the bonnet off. Also was how MMC assembled the car! I'll find a pic or two of mine with the motor on the move.

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts