The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine noise when cold,please help!

rost

I have this noise that only occurs when the car is cold.Once it warms up,like 5 minutes,the noise goes away.At first i thought it was lash adjusters.But when i opened up the valve cover(head was rebuilt 5k miles ago by previous owner) i discovered that lash adjusters are upgraded version(3g).I even took one out,bled it,and drained it to make it tick.And it did tick,wich was a completely different sound.
I also didnt notice anything out of the order in the head,and the noise seems to be coming from there.Compression is fine also.I changed the oil,flushed the engine and changed the oil again.Didnt see any metal shavings or anything out of the ordinary.I also have a magnetic oil plug so it wouldve cought any shaving.
No loss of power,car runs good too.
And the sound is not constant only on the warm up,but it sounds pretty bad.
Here is the video.
click

Terry Posten

Take the top timing belt cover off and see if the belt is loose between the cam gears and vibrates alot when you goose the throttle.

Muskrat

It's hard for me to tell, but it sounds like an rpm related ticking, right?

It could be a slight exhaust leak, which get's sealed when th gaskets and surrounding metal expand when heated up.

Just a thought. If you cant find any other cause, see if it gets worse over time. This would be my guess if it does.

rost

yeah,i think it is the exhaust leak,i will get a new manifold and turbo housing gaskets and hopefully it solves the noise

belize1334

Does it get louder when you apply the throttle while it's still cold. An exhaust leak at the manifold will be rpm dependent but it will also get louder with increased exhaust pressure (throttle and spool). It'll go away as the engine warms up and the flanges and gaskets expand.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned