The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ECMLink(DSMLink) MAF Suggestions

BoostedAWD91

I am currently running a VPC/GCC and im going to be switching to ECMLink this summer so i need to purchase a Maf. Since they are so many different MAF's you can run, anyone have any suggestions on which is the best route to go. I want to continue to run a vented BOV so im thinking maybe 2G?

BoostedAWD91

does it have the MAP sensor option? I didnt read anything about that. I really dont wanna go with the GM Maf cause i would have to change all my intercooler piping which i will only do as a last option

the new V3 dsmlink has the MAP option available. we used a gm maf on one of our recent projects it just has 2.5" to 3" couplers on each end. it didnt mess the intercooler piping up much just make sure the BOV is installed ahead of it.

belize1334

If I were going to ECMLink (which I will when I get some money) I wouldn't just jump straight to MAP (speed density). It's all setup to work in the chip.

Read this.

Pay special attention to the use of the GM MAF cable which allows you to connect directly to the provided break-outs so that you don't even have to hack the harness.

BoostedAWD91

Quoting darksideauto:
the new V3 dsmlink has the MAP option available. we used a gm maf on one of our recent projects it just has 2.5" to 3" couplers on each end. it didnt mess the intercooler piping up much just make sure the BOV is installed ahead of it.

well for where my BOV is located at now, there isnt enough room to put the GM Maf in without re-doing everything which i dont wanna do. the direct plug in cable to the GM Maf setup is definatly nice, but id rather not go that route right now due to finances or is this really the "best" route to go?

belize1334

Speed density is absolutely the best in my opinion. The cost of setting it up won't be appreciable different than buying a 3G maf, filter, and adapter harness. The added cost comes from needing a wide-band to tune the setup since you can't just expect it to work instantly the way you do with a MAF. You sould note that this is also true if you try to run a GM maf. You must tune it or it won't be right.

4thStroke

Your best bet may to be to get the car running well on a 2g MAF and then letting ECMLink set up the airflow tables for you. That way youll pretty much have it dialed in, save for a few extra minor details, depending on how well ECMLink is able to set it up.

My car drives much better on SD than it did with the 2g MAF.

JSchleim18

V3 lite! IIRC it's $345 instead of $595 and you can still run speed density. It doesn't have some of the quirks as the full V3 model but should cover most to all of your tuning needs.

click

strokin4dr

3g lite is only available for the Evo 1-3 at the moment. They are working on the 1g/2g Dsm version now.

JSchleim18

Should be about a month or so at most I assume. This was supposed to be out months ago

NateCrisman

Last edited:

BoostedAWD91

i was originall going to go with ds-map but i figured going to ECMLink would be better off in the long run for me.

BoostedAWD91

Quoting belize1334:
Speed density is absolutely the best in my opinion. The cost of setting it up won't be appreciable different than buying a 3G maf, filter, and adapter harness. The added cost comes from needing a wide-band to tune the setup since you can't just expect it to work instantly the way you do with a MAF. You sould note that this is also true if you try to run a GM maf. You must tune it or it won't be right.

well i do have a wide-band funds which is my next purchase hopefully in the next month so ill have that already hooked up before i make the ECMLink purchase. Is setting up the SD more complicated than setting up the Maf? I dont know how much truth there actually is to it, but according their website you should be able to use the tables they provide as a base setting to start with and it should be driveable. Im not sure if this only accounts for the Maf tables or should be able to do so with the speed density as well

BoostedAWD91

Have they sorted out the bugs to run on Windows 7? Last i saw is that u had to run it through XP or Vista due to it not opening on Windows 7

4thStroke

To get the SD set up, its easiest to dial in a MAF tune, then set up the SD. ECMLink will then fill out the tables according to the settings you have for your MAF tune.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned