The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone still running a HKS VPC???

if you are, what type of map sensor are you using?? my map sensor is crappin out and once i start to hit 15psi, tha fuel starts to cut out and ive already added 15% of fuel. so my tuner says i need a new map sensor, but since HKS has discontinued the VPC and parts for it, im not sure what mapsensor to use. also would anyone recommend goin back to the maf setup and get a ecu chip or apexi safc?? any infor or suggestions would be great. heres my setup for reference:

starion intercooler
Greddy 18g turbo
3000gt VR4 fuel pump
RC 550cc injectors
HKS VPC,GCC,EVC
3in turbo back thermal exhaust
stock engine with mild head port-n-polish

Last edited by a moderator:

Nate

I still use a VPC, but I'm still using the HKS MAP sensors. I'm told that you could use a GM 3bar sensor, and wire it in, but I've never tried it, and I worry about the calibration of GM sensors to start with. You could probably try the AEM MAP sensor.

As for going back to the MAF/AFC setup, that depends on how easily your car converts back to a MAF setup, and whether you want to try using a different sensor.

Nate

Part of that decision is whether you have an EPROM ECU to compensate correctly for a different MAS and the injectors. You should be able to use a GM 3-bar MAP sensor without an issues, as I believe the stock HKS sensor maxxed out at just about 3 bar.

Lonewolf64

My brother uses a GM 3bar with his VPC with no problems. It runs the same with it as it did with the HKS original sensor. As for calibration, if it is an OEM part for GM cars, obviously it will work like it should.

Brianawd

Call buschur racing if using the vpc. To him its the greatest tunning tool out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

BoostedAWD91

i used to run the VPC for a few years till i sold it which i now regret. If anyone is sellling one im looking to pick one back up again

Launch

Im sucha VPC whore I got 2 complete setups, and a set of brand new, never used sensors from hks. One of my GVR4 will be getting a vpc with its 2.3L, the other I might use in my Colt, or my GSX, or my other GVR4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lonewolf64

Is it impossible to buy a new VPC or something? Why would anyone want to run VPC vs DSMlink?

BoostedAWD91

no u cant get VPC's new anymore, they stopped making them.
They are a great for tuning, very simple to use and u dont have to keep changing things all the time, u set it once and leave it go for the most part. They are also alot cheaper than DSMlink now

Lonewolf64

As soon as the altitude or climate changes, you do have to play with the VPC. It doesn't really work too hot for my brother although I do know that some people swear by them.

BoostedAWD91

its been awhile since i had a vpc so i dont remember what every wire is but anyways im looking into buying one from a member and there is a cut wire in the harness and loose wire. anyone know if this is gonna cause a problem or what it goes to?

BoostedAWD91

i know about the ECU's pins but thats not really gonna help me. I need to know if that cut wire is gonna affect the VPC functionality and what the long wires by themself are for in the 2nd pic

atc250r

Staff member
In my time playing with the VPC, the adapter harness that hooks to the ECU is the source of most VPC problems. You don't need to use that whole thing, there are a couple of ways around it. You can "trick" the ECU into seeing the baro sensor and IAT sensor with resistors even after you've removed the stock MAS or you can buy a custom chip that locks those values inside the ECU and just wire the VPC in like you would an SAFC.

John

i do have an eprom ecu. as far as wiring up the GM 3bar, how would i do that?? does anyone have some pictures or know which wires i have to match up. thanks

I've still got a VPC but it's not in the car anymore. I started burning my own ECU chips so took it out & went with a 2G MAS & big 880cc injectors. I didn't notice much of a difference in spool or max power but my chips are a lot more daily drivable.

I guess I should post the VPC for sale if there's still interest in them.

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
i know about the ECU's pins but thats not really gonna help me. I need to know if that cut wire is gonna affect the VPC functionality and what the long wires by themself are for in the 2nd pic

If you would PLEASE do us the favor of looking up the pin # on the ECU that those wires go to, it would GREATLY help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I wasn't trying to be a smartass posting that link, that is the information you need to give us before we can tell you if it will affect the VPC operation! Same thing with the long wires. It *appears* that they might be where someone spliced into the Karman Hz wires to run too an AFC. But, here again YOU need to tell us which wire they are spliced into. We can't get that much information from just a stupid picture!

Batman: the GM MAP sensor is just like the HKS sensor, it has 3 connections: ground, +5 volts, and the output to the VPC which varies with boost. Just trace the wires back to the harness, or read the voltages on each wire with a voltmeter, and it should be very easy to figure out. If I recall, the ECU provides the ground and +5 volts, from pins 23 and 24. You should easily be able to Google the GM MAP sensor pinout. I'd recommend buying it from a dealer that can also supply the proper 3-pin harness for it. I bought mine from a guy who mainly sells to the Buick GN guys, if I recall.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts