The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dowel pin install (on flywheel)?

Got my brand new flywheel last week and I was just wondering how to install those 3 dowel pins that goes on the flywheel.
How do I install them and how deep should they go??

Barnes

3 dowel pins? The ones on the outside where the clutch bolts down? Did the dowel pins come with the flywheel, but they are not installed?

Yes. It's those on the outside for the pp. They were not installed, they came in a sealed bag together with the flywheel.

PS. Forgot to mention that the flywheel is for my dd which is has a 6G72 SOHC engine. But I believe that installing dowel pins are the same on most flywheels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just tap them in. I have resurfaced hundreds of flywheels and all you do is take a hammer and tap them in. They are a few thousandths of an inch larger than the hole so it might take some force. They are extremely hard steel though, so don't worry about hurting them. As for how far to drive them in, usually half way is fine.

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is there something else that I should think about when taping them in?? I don't need to worry about the flywheel getting bent, or out of balance when taping the dowel pins in right??

Well you want to have the flywheel supported by something sturdy, but it won't bend or get knocked out of balance. This is just one of those things that you do and then forget about, because it's nearly impossible to mess up.

Ah OK! Thank you very much for your help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned