The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch and Flywheel Question

The8er

Sorry tried the search button but not finding what I'm looking for.

Does the GVR4 use the same clutch and flywheel as a 1G/2G eclipse. Just wondering because every one sells stuff for those cars but not everyone lists the GVR4. It appears to be the same part #'s, when I can find the GVR4 listed, so I'm lead to believe they are the same on clutch components, but haveing a hard time trying to figure out on the flywheel. I'm looking at doing a full clutch and lightened flywheel.

The main point to the question is, Are there any differences and if so what?

Last edited:

GVR4 and the 6bolt 1g TURBO are the same. confirm you have a 6bolt or a 7bolt crank shaft before buying parts. If you happen to have a 7bolt get a 1g 7 bolt turbo 1g setup. Not exactly sure about the 2g but im sure that 7bolt stuff will fit just fine also.

Don't get anything 1g 4g63 NA, the flywheel doesnt have the counter weights and it is slightly smaller than the turbo version.

vfaq.com is your friend.

The8er

It is going into a 6 bolt GVR4, to my knowledge there is no 7 bbolt 91/92 GVR4's unless someone has purposely swapped one in. I do understand 6 vs 7 and I know its a 6. I was just wondering if there was a difference in radius, flywheel tooth count, spline count or maybe I guess offsets from mounting postions?

If I order clutch components for a 6 bolt 1g eclipse then it should fit???

If I order a flywheel for a 6 bolt eclipse it should fit??

I'm still undecided on what kit I want but as long as I know I can order a 6 bolt flywheel or a an eclipse clutch kit then I'm happy. The problem is that not all maufacutrers will list the VR4 so if they have a listing for the 6 bolt eclipse I should be able to order with out anyfitment issues??

I figured that with the block and crank being the same as the early 1g 6bolt eclipse that all the mouting should be the same but I didn't know whether there was a differece in the transmissions or maybe with the starter motor.

Last edited:

I am currently running a stage 1 EXEDY and FIDANZA for a 1g 6 bolt eclipse
barr.gif

Fitment is perfect. I did have to bore (slightly) the alignment pin for the aluminum flywheel. But, works perfectly.

Edit:
your going to run into issues when switching the front motor mount and misc stuff like this. But rest assured, the 1g clutch will work on your car.

Others run into issue when they switch flywheels and dust shields. This is because they are not using turbo parts. 4G63 NA bell housings, flywheels and dust shields wont work unless you pair them all together. Keep it all 1g / gvr4 turbo parts and your solid.

Last edited by a moderator:

my 2 cents...

* Racing / Launching the car, go with the ACT 2600 and ACT flywheel (chromoly steel vs Fidanza aluminum). Downside: Hard clutch pedal pressure. Depending on how aggressive you are building your car will depend on your disk choice.

* Mild HP ranges, nothing to harsh maybe a stage 2 Exedy and a Fedanza flywheel. Little lighter pedal but will hold more HP than stock. Maybe go with a ACT 2100 if you don't like Exedy.

* DD with very mild increase in hp/mods and stock clutch feel, Exedy stage 1 or similar style OEM clutch and the Fidanza. Because you can change the face plates. However it is still cheaper to resurface a stock flywheel than getting a new plate for the fidanza. But the weight difference / freed rotational mass blah blah blah is something to keep in mind.

I don't like "F1 racing" anything, or ebay specials no name brands that try to look like ACT. You get what you pay for. I don't like how their puck style clutches rattle compared to other quality puck disks. I have ran ACT 2600 and their flywheel. I Love ACT!

^ the above is MY opinion for those of you reading and should be taken lightly.
booty.gif
Just trying to give him some ideas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Have a look at this site if you haven't RRE: http://www.roadraceengineering.com/clutchandflywheeltech.htm

The clutch pressure of the 2600 also varies from car to car. On mine the pressure increase was negligible after the swap.

I am also using ACT's unsprung organic disc for increased reliability without worrying about clutch springs ejecting. The negative to the unsprung disc is deceleration noise when slowing down with the clutch engaged.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned