The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

double syncro 1st gear?

dsmtalontsi95

What is the benifit of have 1st gear double sycro's?

Myles

Quicker cleaner shift to second and hi-rev down shifts for auto-x or road racing.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Double-cone synchro for 1st gear is no way affiliated with cleaner shifting to second :). IMHO only for rall / x-cross use. Don't waste your money on that upgrade, if your car is DD.

belize1334

The synchro helps when you're shifting INTO a gear. If you autocross then a double synchro 1st and 2nd gear (and possible 3rd though it's used more rarely) will improve the shift feel. For drag racing the 1st gear synchro is useless but 2nd, 3rd, (and possible 4th and 5th if you're really going all out) will help with faster harder shifts. For a DD it's not really necessary unless you have the money to burn and just want a really smooth (but still clunky compared to a honda) transmission.

Last edited:

dsmtalontsi95

The build is for my weekend/track car. The guy building the trany said he would throw it in for $75. What would you guys do?

belize1334

I'd go for it. For $75 why not. See if you can get him to do 2nd and 3rd at the same price.

jepherz

Staff member
I'd make sure I had 2nd and 3rd done first. What kind of "track" car? The chances of needing to downshift to 2nd in autocross are kinda low, but it's non-existent at a road course.

dsmtalontsi95

The rest of the trans is almost bullet proof, double syncro on every gear except 1st. It has alot of "goodies".

4thStroke

Jack's recommends that you double up 1st if you plan on doubling anything more than 2nd. Then 3rd, then 4th.

Im doubling 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, myself. I like NLTS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In regards to shift quality, has anything added a counterweight to the assembly at the tranny? My Mazdaspeed3 had a weight and when removed, the shifting was light and notchy. It has a similar (very similar) affect to adding a heavily weighted shift knob.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts