The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

rebuilding transmission

dsm10o0

I have 2 transmission's taken apart. 1 is 1g dsm and other is gvr4.

The 1g trans has bad 1st and 2nd syncros and the vr4 trans has a broken shift fork thats stuck in 4th gear.

My question now is I'd like to switch gear around like using the 1g dsm taller 5th gear instead of the vr4. Which other gear could i switch that would benefit me for daily driving?

Truth. swap out your first for the 1g first.. yes it is taller and better for launching but it is about 10x weaker then the 1g. other then that i wouldnt change anything. Check all your bearings and there races. i just took apart what i thought was a perfect one to find a cracked and chipping race.

brisvr4

+1 I'd use the 1G input shaft and 1st gear ( you must keep them as a pair ). And you can use 2nd, 3rd and 4th straight from the VR4 box.
Not 100% on 5th ratios though.

Barnes

5th gear is identical between the GVR-4 transmission and the DSM. 1st gear in the GVR-4 is taller, but as said above, is weaker.

dsm10o0

Thanks for clarifying those. Also, both trans is a 22 spline shaft and if I get a 23 spline shaft, would i need the matching 1st gear for that too? or could i just swap the shaft out? And last, whats the race? This is my first time opening up a trans and rebuilding it.

Barnes

You can swap the t-case output shaft without changing anything else. If you want to switch 1st gear, you have to use the matching input shaft.

EDIT: Sorry, wrong shaft. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Last edited:

brisvr4

Quoting Barnes:
If you want to switch 1st gear, you have to use the matching intermediate shaft.

It's actually the 1g Input shaft that you need to use not the intermediate. Just press the 1st gear cog off of the 1g intermediate shaft and press it onto yours.

Barnes

Oops! Sorry, I was backwards. Figures that even after rebuilding one myself I'd forget. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

dsm10o0

Cool. id post back up if i run into troubles or something. thanks guys.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned