The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Trans rebuild - Dsm 1st gear?

brisvr4

Hey guys,
I have just pulled my broken VR4 transmission down and it has broken 1st gear.
I am wanting to replace the VR4 1st gear with a DSM 1st.
What parts will I need to accomplish this?
I do realize that I will need a new input shaft as the teeth on that are broken as well. Can I use a VR4 input shaft or do I need to use a DSM unit?
Also, as my box was only just rebuilt prior to blowing 1st gear I want to use the rest of the gears etc out of it. Are they compatible with the DSM 1st gear?

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Tim

Brianawd

Just get a new input shaft and a dsm 1st gear and you will be good.

vr4play

If you have to replace 1st gear I would put an evo 3 first gear in. They are the strongest you can buy and they are not stupid short like the dsm one. I hated my dsm 1st gear, you had to shift to soon. The evo 3 is where its at. You have to replace the same amount of stuff.

brisvr4

Thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
So if I went the Evo 3 1st gear and input shaft then this is what I would need?
Evo3 1st
I take it that my VR4 syncro for 1st (and hub and slider?) would work with this gear?
On the other hand I might just grab a dsm 1st gear and input from TRE as per Brians advice. My car is more of a weekend car now so I am thinking that the shorter gearing on the DSM 1st shouldn't pose a huge hassle for me. Plus it's way cheaper!

Brianawd

The evo3 1st gear is nice but if you take you car to the track it requires more rpm to launch the car. If not you end up bogging. I still have the dsm 1st gear for the soul reason its a lot easier to get the car out of the hole.

brisvr4

Brian, you just made up my mind for me mate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
DSM first gear it is!!

spoulson

Sounds obvious, but since it wasn't mentioned: Make sure the input shaft and 1st gear are a matched set to ensure the teeth mesh.

brisvr4

Very good point. I've dropped TRE an email to see what they have in stock.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts