The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Door Trim Paint

fastasleep

What are my options for restoring the fading door trip that frames the top portion of the doors around the car windows?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ben

AnotherNewb

Duplacolor trim black has always worked really well for me. Really any flat or semi-gloss black works well aslong as you do the prepwork. That means cleaning degreasing scuffing and masking.

This is a really easy project that helps the looks of these cars, especially sw ones.

Maybe this thread will help click I've changed the color of a mini interior and 8 years later it's as good as when it was done so applied right interior paints work well.

fastasleep

Justin, thanks for the link, but I was talking about the exterior trim! Sorry, I didn't clarify that.

Any links to how to prep it properly? Thank you for the responses.

Terry Posten

I just sanded the trim down with scotch bright pads to a very light key, degreased surface, taped off the entire area, and rattle can semi-flat black.

That lasted 4 years until the whole car was professionally repainted. And the trim was still in great shape.

Ahh I getcha, thought you meant interior trim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Eastwood make a paint for that. Also you can make the plastic/rubber trum above the door skin look like new with a cutting polish, aswell as any plastic/rubber exterior trim. I would stay away from mat black though, weren't they origionaly a semi-gloss?

I think you mean the window frame?

My advice is as follows

Wet sand the black with 500 grit don't try to rub through to bare metal though all you want to do is give the new paint something to stick to.

Clean with Prepsol/wax and grease remover.

'If' you do rub through then spray a mist of etch primer over any bare metal spots then spray them with a primer, The primer can go on over wet etch (wet on wet). Rub down with 400 then finish with 500, clean with Prepsol/wax and grease remover and spray.

To spray try to have the car in a garage, and use a heater to get both the surface and the air nice and warm, make sure there is no dust floating around too. Also make sure there is no dust on the car as the air stream will move it around. Obviously you will need to mask very well.
When spraying (with Aerosol or gun) start spraying on the masking moving onto your work (this is so you don't get a splatter of paint) moving back and forth with nice even strokes, each stroke should overlap, I was tought 60/40% overlap. About three coats, first is a light coat called a tack coat. I would personaly use a clear over top (it will be shiny but that is a good thing isn't it?) Time between coats is how long it takes to work around the car so you pretty much won't be stoping, wait about 30min before doing the clear. If done right it will look real nice and you won't need to polish it or anything. If you don't use a clear then the cleaning and spraying is still the same.

I'll try to find a link that explains it better than that though.

I'm doing the same thing to my car, I'm going for a high gloss as I think it looks good.

Are your trims just faded? any chips? rusty spots etc?

Ahh very important when spraying, cover all the paint on the car, spray sits in the air then lands on everything, afterwards you will rub your hand on the car and it will be all furry.

Maybe that helps

What Terry just said, if the trims are in good condition other than being faded then just prep the surface with these click

then paint

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned