The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Does anyone make or sell solid motor mounts?

NateCrisman

Quoting gtluke:
once i have the mounts in a cad file i can easily just make them pure solid, or for the prothane inserts. i'll talk to utah tonight about when the hell he's going to finish that.

I need to get a copy of solidworks so I can get in on drawing up this stuff. I'v got time on my hands.

bigblock4g63

check evo-tech.net under vender page

curtis

Well if I'm reading this correct your wanting a solid mount. I tried this once in a mustang and had a completely balanced performance engine in the car and by 3800 my cassette was ejected and in the back seat. Another problem with this is that the aluminum will wear against the steel. Friction, heat, expansion etc will have to come into play. If you use a high durameter poly its actually better because only after a few weeks of driving/track events the aluminum will already be wearing where the poly hasn't. My 3 cents

I have some experience in billet mounts for other vehicles with high durometer poly and very little movement... but i'll make just about anything you want.

mk4mounts.gif

Dialcaliper

There's really not much point in completely solid metal engine mounts. Shore 90A polyurethane is quite stiff, and won't deflect much under load, plus it absorbs vibration much better than aluminum/Delrin/UHDP. The avid racing mounts rate 90A as stiff enough to handle 800hp, so unless your engine will be capable of over 600 ft-lbs of torque or so, polyurethane will be plenty stiff. Also, they were even kind enough to warn you:

Quote:

"90A: Recommended for race applications up to 800hp. Warning: These are very stiff!

Also, completely solid aluminum will wear unless the tolerances are tightly controlled.

If you wanted to be completely baller, you could build custom mounts out of steel that mate using these with appropriate spacers instead of bushings:
1" ID PTFE Lined Spherical Bearings. You'd rattle your teeth out, but the engine would be installed quite solidly, but it would minimize preloading and distortion from engine-bay and chassis flexing. They're each rated to 56,000 pounds oscillating load, so they should be up to the job.

You could even install some thin but stiff poly sleeves in the 1" bore to take a bit of the edge off. You'd need to use side spacers, or make custom engine brackets as well.

Last edited:

PolskiVR4

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I didnt want to start a new one, I want the avid racing motor mount set since I dont have any motor mounts for my shell and thought it would be a perfect solution. BUT I remember one of the mounts being different on a GVR4 compared to a 1g dsm, is that true??? And if so which one is it?

JSchleim18

The Avid motor mounts will work for either a 1G DSM or Galant VR-4. It's the actual bracket that mounts to the block that is different between a 1G DSM and Galant VR-4.

onesickcrx

As old as this post is I might as well put in that I got a set of avid mounts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Pics! I was going to get these but one thing to remember for guys who still have the power steering lines running back is that the avid mounts don't have that screw hole on top to secure the lines like the stock steel housing does. I didn't want my ps lines just kind of dangling there unsecured so I didn't purchase the avid's. Instead I went ahead and did what I told myself I would not and thats install the drivers side polyurathane mount. The difference in vibration transmitted into the cabin was significant, more than the front and rear poly mount trasmitted thats for sure. I can't imagine the difference after the avid mounts.

Your bay has to look pretty cool by now cause you also have those black/silver AN fittings so when can we see pics of it?

boostin4door

Solid mounts aren't needed on street car IMO. why?[way too much vibration]
I have one 'poly' w/good-new OEM mounts & thats enough for me, no issues/problems.

onesickcrx

Once I clean it all up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Its still not finished and really dirty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned