The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

solid mounts?

MitchooO

I have been slowly putting together 1972/2k and after a few years of running stock mounts and wondering if my motor moves too much I'm starting to kick around the idea of solid welded mounts. I have access to a laser to cut out washers to weld in my factory mounts after all the rubber is cut away. has anyone done this or thought about it? I also thought about doing this to my rear subframe as well. the car will not be daily driven, maybe a everyother weekend car and possibly the drag strip. I'm also not worried about vibration or road noise. Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:

prove_it

Same thing as running poly mounts. Havent done it myself, but built a turbo neon that we welded solid mounts for. Unless you can fab and weld everything your self, poly mounts might be a cheaper route.

christo

If you are not worried about vibration/rattling go for it.

I had a poly mounts on my talon weekender and ended up putting new stockers in the timing belt side and transmission side due to vibration. I left the front and rear poly mounts in.

I couldn't handle the vibration of everything in the car, drove me mad. Old /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wookalar

WHat are you trying to achieve?

There is a night and day difference between old worn out rubber stockers and new poly inserts. Try the poly first, if then they are not enough control then go to solid mounts.

There is a company that makes billet mounts however I cant recall the name at the moment.

manikbastrd

Poly mounts are really stiff compared to the rubber stockers. I don't mind the vibration much, but there is a significant amount. I also noticed a huge difference during shifts etc. I wouldn't run solid mounts personally before doing poly.

MitchooO

what do you mean during shifts? do you mean the shock of clutch engagement or other reasons? I am trying to achieve saving my money on a set of mount inserts when I can just give my budy 10 bucks to cut some washers and weld them in at work, And I dont want the engine to move anymore haha

prove_it

there isn't much difference between solid and poly, as far as vibration is concerned. One drawback to solid mounts is that during engine installs the mounts are trickier to line up and there is no give, so say your doing the t-belt in car, you will not be able to lift the cover side up a bit to make for clearance.

manikbastrd

Quoting MitchooO:
what do you mean during shifts? do you mean the shock of clutch engagement or other reasons? I am trying to achieve saving my money on a set of mount inserts when I can just give my budy 10 bucks to cut some washers and weld them in at work, And I dont want the engine to move anymore haha

When you swap in the mounts, the first thing you notice is the vibration, the second thing you notice is that the motor and tranny don't rock back and forth when you shift and engage the clutch. I don't really know how else to explain this, but that is what I mean.

andrew4g63

From my experience with solid mounts most of the vibration came from the mount on the rear side of near firewall.
On both of my gvr4s that I drive I have a factory mount in the rear location. The vibration was just too horrible for me to drive around and enjoy my car.

manikbastrd

The rear mount is the only one I haven't switched to poly so far and it is still ridiculous hahaha. I want to try swapping in a Fluidampr to see if that helps...

prove_it

I don't think the vibrations are that bad in mine. It's there, but not teeth chattering.

Guess my engine runs better, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned