The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Does anyone make offset cam keys for the 4G63?

Quote:
It doesn't move the cam gear in the timing belt. It moves the cam inside the head forward or back while the gear stays in the same space. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif Hence degreeing the CAM, not the cam gear.

DOH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I really shouldn't post after a just rolled out of bed.

There is one thing that I do know might be a problem. Our cam gears are very brittle. I bent one of mine just using it as handle to pull off the head. I gripped it along with the water neck. I don't notice it until I got it all back together and noticed the gear had a wobble. I removed the gear and then tried to straighten it by gently pressing against a flat surface. A crack appeared on one of the spokes.

I have also seen a bunch of shattered gears at the local u-pick.

I would be worried that any work on the gear itself would cause damage.

Quote:
Next time I see a set on the shelf I'll pick a set up and see what happens.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That a boy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
Well the ones I linked are what you are looking for and will work with our stock cam gears.

How do those bushings work with our cam gears? I understand degreeing a camshaft, but I'm having a hard time visualizing how those bushings would accomplish it.

you drill out the hole in the stock gear to fit one of those bushings into it, the bushing then effectively moves the dowel hole so the gear is either advanced or retarded a certain amount.

Gordian79

I used to do this with toyota 3tc motors until cam gears were made for the 3tc.all keys work either + or - like a 2deg key you can use as a +2 or -2 depends which way you install key.I think its a waste of time on a 4g63 since cam gears are available.

Rausch

this would be a good alternative to cam gears if you were positive of exactly what changes you needed to make. but given every car is different, and i'm sure all cams aren't equally centered on the lobes the same, cam gears seem to offer a much better alternative. what if you change cams? granted you could swap bushings, but what if your ideal point is between say 2*-3*??? then which one do you use...you see where i'm going with this. it is a nice alternative though.

First off you have to measure your center line before you start anything. When I did my Daytona the cam was centerlined at 118*, I used a 5* offset key, which is 10* on the cam, it was then the 108* that I wanted. If you know what you are doing you shouldn't have to do it more than once; measure it put in the offset bushing (double check if you want), then put it back together. Also if your centerline is only off by 1* on the CRANK changing it wouldn't make a difference power wise. Oh and if you do change cams, cam gears are worth what $5-$10, you already have the bushings from the last time. For me it's the price difference, not worrying about the bolts slipping, and the cam gear breaking.

Rausch

i guess you make a good case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif i was looking at it more from an advancing/retarding standpoint. i.e: making those adjustments depending on your set up to extract a bit more power after centerlining the cams. but you do make a good case none the less.

So has anybody tried those bushings yet? I'm interested in it but having a few reservations about how well they would work. First, is there enough room to drill that hole in the cam gear bigger without hitting the center bolt hole? Second, if you put the bushing in there, will the center bolt hold it in place or do you need to find another way to secure it? And third, if the center bolts holds it in place, will the bolt still be able to seat firmly against the cam gear, or will the bushing be too thick and leave a gap?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned