The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

head rebuild - performance

NickDromez

So my plan is to rebuild my head with go fast parts. Are there any brands that are especially good or bad? I know I don't want hks since they seem over priced for parts.

Cams: Brian cower 280/280
Valve springs: manley or supertech dual springs.
Arp head bolts
Supertech valve guides and valve stem seals.
Manly or supertech valves 1mm oversized
topline revised lifters
Comitec head gasket
Aem adjustable cam gears

Basically I want to k.ow if supertech or manley is better quality or if I should go with a different brand cams.
Thanks for any input

NickDromez

also i would like to know if the cams lift will make the valves interfere with the pistons at all? also will everything fit?

Last edited:

DR1665

If you're concerned about overpaying for results, what can you tell us about how you use this car most often and your performance goals? Is this going to be your all-in, Hail Mary engine build? Is this just going to be another 400awhp, 10-second, daily driver "race car?" Not to be a dick, but there's a couple pretty heavy items on your list. If you're not 110% honest with yourself about how you're going to use the car, it's quite possible you'll dump a metric sh*t-ton of cash into this thing, start breaking weakest links, and burn out.

I dropped over $6K into a high-compression, 9000rpm screamer in my old Talon. It sounded sick. It was sick. But it had absolutely no balls whatsoever below 3500rpm, wanted to knock on Heaven's door all summer long, and I had all of zero interest in drag racing. For that kind of coin, I could have fully prepped a GVR4 for rally and entered my first event. Tough lesson to learn, my friend.

So, why are you looking at 280 cams and oversized valves? Being turbocharged, we're not as seriously affected by such things as the NA guys, but I'd be willing to bet money you'll lose low end grunt while increasing lag. What turbo are you running? Planning to max it out? How's your bottom end setup? Can it handle copious amounts of boost all the way to 7000rpm?

Just some food for thought. You seem like a thoughtful guy. Figured I'd throw it out there.

EDIT:
Just for comparison, I think my ideal street setup would be a mildly ported Cyclone intake side running +1mm, 5-angled valves, a couple Somender Singh gooves in the CC, 5-angled stock exhaust valves, a set of Evo VIII cams (262s?), a cleaned up FP cast manifold, and E316G running speed density.

That's pretty much what I want for the race car, too, although I think I'd probably leave the valve sizes alone, step up to either Kelford TX258 or FP1XX cams.

Oh, and I'd never piss away money on fancy pants premium head gaskets or timing belts. Not to say they don't have their uses, but I'm not pushing the engine that hard. Tune it within an inch of its life, then dial it back and leave a little something on the table. Ain't no fun JSB.

Last edited:

4thStroke

Quoting NickDromez:
So my plan is to rebuild my head with go fast parts. Are there any brands that are especially good or bad? I know I don't want hks since they seem over priced for parts.

Cams: Brian cower 280/280
Valve springs: manley or supertech dual springs.
Arp head bolts
Supertech valve guides and valve stem seals.
Manly or supertech valves 1mm oversized
topline revised lifters
Comitec head gasket
Aem adjustable cam gears

Basically I want to k.ow if supertech or manley is better quality or if I should go with a different brand cams.
Thanks for any input

Stay away from anything BC, especially the 280s, they are horrible cams. Don't waste money on cam gears, with a good drop in cam, you should be able to do just that, drop them in straight up and go.

I would go with the FP beehive spring kit. The cometic HG is a good gasket for the money. Oversized valves are much of a necessity. OEM valve stem seals are fine.

MuffinMan7580

You did not post up what setup you have for your car already. Advice given will vary much differently from a 16g car to a 35r car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned