The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Did I kill my balance shaft bearings?

AWDPower

My GVR4 has been off the road for a while- about 8 years. I finaly found time to finish it, and resumed work on it a couple months ago. When I did the T-belt, I spun the oil pump a bit with a drill to circlate the oil a since it had been sitting so long. I should mention that I also replaced the oil pan and the oil was fresh. I finished the t-belt and buttoned everything up. I also had swapped on an air oil cooler and housing. A week or two later, I pulled one of the plugs on the housing to install the turbo oil feed line. There was no oil at the plug, or in the filter. So I have two problems. One, why didn't the oiling system prime? I'm not too worried about that, I can add oil to the filter housing later to prime the pump if needed. My bigger worry is that I damaged the rear balance shaft bearings when I spun it without oil reaching it. I spun the pump for about 30 seconds, probably about 1000rpm at the oil pump (2/3 that at the balance shaft I believe). I did notice when I did the t-belt that the oil pump sprocket seemed less self aligning then the other dozens of t-belts I've done, but didn't think much of it at the time. But there was no noise, and it spun smoothly and easily. Do you think that I damaged the bearings? The engine is a strong, unknown mileage, stock long block. It may have been rebuilt (had thermo warranty buttons on the block and head.) I'd really prefer to keep the balance shafts. I'm so close to putting the car back on the road, I'd rather not tear back into it if I don't have to. Is this wishfull thinking, or needless worry?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Hey Jason, I've wondered at times where you went.

Spinning at no load essentially and likely not long enough to truly heat anything up could mean you are ok. If you want some peace of mind (I know the suggestion still is no fun...), take the belt back off and see how it feels when you turn it by hand. That's all I can think of (though that really does not tell you the full story of what could happen when hot and spinning full speed).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned