The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Damn it!

tsitalon1

Always careful with my A/C vents as I know that plastic this old is brittle....wouldn't you know my radar detector falls off the windshield and shatters my center vent. DAMNIT!!

Anyone replace a center vent? Does the dash have to come out? Good source for center vents?

524of1000

OH MY GOD That is a pain in the cock to replace. You *might* find one at PnP or U pull it. Finding the right color in good condition.. yeah. Took me a few months to find one and I settled for blue. The HVAC controls need to come out and you'll honestly still probably break it trying to get it out. Be patient and take your time, but it is doable.

JNR

I ended up getting what was a good one from another member here awhile back, but unfortunately the clips broke as he took it off, since I don't think he pulled it out properly...from what I understand, you have to pull out a lot to get the off and on; so, I haven't messed with it and don't look forward to it either, lol...The good thing is I *think* this was common on all galants of 87-93 so shouldn't be too difficult to find, although maybe not the same color. Wonder if any other mitsus had the same part, such as a diamante or something, similar year(s)?

GSX_TC

I tried pulling these off another galant out of the junkyard once and was being very care and everything and still broke them trying to remove them. They are super fragile.

holeshotmoe

If you are very very careful you can replace the louvers without pulling the housing. I replaced a few of mine using louvers from spare side vents I had sitting around. Forget which side...but maybe both side vents are needed. Yeah, I think the center vent has two different length louvers. The L/R side vents supply the replacements. I'll try to post a shot of the louvers themselves and you'll see that you can slip one end into the hole, carefully bow it just enough to get the pin into the other end.

blacksheep

Quoting GSX_TC:
I tried pulling these off another galant out of the junkyard once and was being very care and everything and still broke them trying to remove them. They are super fragile.

I looked at the FSM and it looks like it can be done as part of the dash removal - very involved.

Can someone confirm this part is NLA from the dealer tho?

theevozero

The only way to do this properly, without breaking the vents or the dash, is to remove the dash. Been there, done that, sucked.

The vents I bought were from the dealer, BUT took an act of congress to get. They are not regularly stocked items. That was about 5 years ago. Doubt they are available now.

citymunky

The dash has to be removed to get to the 4 screws or cut it out on a car in the junk yard car with a bad dash.

Last edited:

supa_saloon

Hack job from a friend.

He used some sot of gum looking adhesive on the sides to make sure it's a snug fit

it's shitty, but served it's purpose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

supa_saloon

I bought it from citymunky and they came like this

Separated the front part from the rear part, they are held by the adjustable tab in front that adjusts the opening or closing of the vents, and some small tabs on the inside, i think there' a few for the center

Removed the one that needs to be replaced, careful because some small chips may fall on the inside, you may need to totally crush them and have the new center vent snucked in.

See to it that the other tabs wont get in the way for the whole thing to go inside, you may need to remove those small tabs too.

Last edited:

holeshotmoe

Here's a shot of the back so you can see what you have to achieve when you install them from the front side.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned