The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

need vented hood, suggestions?

ok, so i discovered today that my black car in Arizona needs to not idle for more than about 2 minutes in a parking lot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif started to overheat and blew a heater hose (thank God it blew, cuz I was busy talking to someone and didn't notice the temp gauge creeping up) but it got me to thinking: i have a black, non-vented hood, it's a damn heat trap under there, i need some ventilation. does anyone know where i can get a LEGIT JDM/vented carbon fiber hood? preferably the carbon fiber, cuz it wouldn't soak up as much heat from the sun as my black one does. Oh and I have a radiator that's less than a year old, so I'm pretty sure it's not causing the issue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

thanks,
mike

Barnes

What was the temperature outside at the time?

turbowop

You don't need a vented hood. You need to fix some other issue you're having with the car first. A vented hood would just mask the real problem, and even then only maybe would it help. I can idle forever with the same outside temps without issue.

Are your radiator fans kicking on? No air pockets in the cooling system?

Last edited:

Dan D

Were they the original heater hoses? Those have a tendency to wear out after 19-20 years.

lol found the underlying issue... the manifold to turbo gasket is leaking at the front, so while im driving it's spraying hot air directly on the radiator /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif i still want a CF vented hood though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif and i totally F'ed up my heater core ends, so I now have absolutely no climate control /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Regular dark carbon fiber will soak up just as much heat from the sun as the color black. You would need a white cf hood for it to make any difference.

Check for sale section I think a guy has a used CF jdm hood for sale. Or you may be stuck buying new. Get ready to spend 655 bucks + 100 +/- for hood pins or aerocatch.

You will want to make sure your gaskets are good, radiator fluid topped off, wring is ok and fans are working properly cause we have not even begun to see heat yet.

Didn't you just do a rebuild? I hope you bought a new water pump.

Quoting mikewitdaspike:
lol found the underlying issue... the manifold to turbo gasket is leaking at the front, so while im driving it's spraying hot air directly on the radiator

Uhh that doesnt sound like the whole problem. Usually thermostat and fans would be able to overcome that by a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

steve

Yeah and you said this happened while idling parked, not while driving. +1 to fans/tstat

the fan never turned on when it was supposed to, i guess the temp switch went bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif so i did my backyard electrician special and wired the fan up to a manual switch, problem solved /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and yes, the motor is just over 3,000 miles old, new water pump included

dsmless

Get ready for 100 degree wheater to creep up soon with both fans running you shouldn't overheat he'll I blast the ac all summer and it neveroverheated but then I have my fans wired so that anytime the ignition is on the fans are on

i have no AC fan, lol, the intercooler is now sitting where that fan and the condenser used to sit

H05TYL

Just incase anyone's still wondering about vents, I just got a jigsaw and cut a pair of holes in the bonnet (I guesstimated the size/shape and position of Evo vents) then threw some mesh underneath with a rubber strip around the cut edge of the holes.

Works really well (valve cover leaked onto exhaust mani, airflow over the bonnet sucked the smoke out of the vents = impromptu wind tunnel test, haha) and looks okay, though I'd leave out the rubber strip if I did it again.
Constantly get people asking if it's an evo bonnet.

Werd, you could just cut your stock hood and install some jdm hood vents. Much cheaper route if money is tight.

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting H05TYL:
Just incase anyone's still wondering about vents, I just got a jigsaw and cut a pair of holes in the bonnet (I guesstimated the size/shape and position of Evo vents) then threw some mesh underneath with a rubber strip around the cut edge of the holes.

Works really well (valve cover leaked onto exhaust mani, airflow over the bonnet sucked the smoke out of the vents = impromptu wind tunnel test, haha) and looks okay, though I'd leave out the rubber strip if I did it again.
Constantly get people asking if it's an evo bonnet.

You did this recently? do you have any pictures?

Barnes

I'm interested too. I'm thinking about it in my minds eye and I could see it being simple and clean if done correctly.

mikus

did you have one of those aftermarket universal temp switch jobbies? I've met people that had those fail with dire consequences, as such I was convinced to pull mine out & run the fan fulltime.

If I was ever to do vents on a vr4 I'd custom cut them as well. too many people suffering to replicate JDM-style hoods when custom work would do.

belize1334

I've been thinking about cutting my hood for a while. I was considering doing it in the louver style the way older muscle car guys used to do it. Except that where they lift the louvers up in the back I'd be pushing them down in the front for a flush upper surface. The main reason I haven't done it is that I'm not sure where would be the best to promote airflow through the bay without having water dripping on parts that don't like to get wet or be subjected to abrupt heat cycles.

H05TYL

Quoting Hertz:
Quoting H05TYL:
I just got a jigsaw and cut a pair of holes in the bonnet

You did this recently? do you have any pictures?

nope, about 5 years ago!

These are the best pictures I have - from most recent to oldest.

2010_0316burnouts0022.jpg

z110807-5-1.jpg

zVents.jpg

I believe the removal of the under bonnet heat protection stuff has probably contributed to the demise of the paintwork.

When moving little to no water gets in the vents. When stopped at traffic lights water steams off the exhaust manifold heat sheild. The car lives outside so I have a plastic sign (corrugated plastic, like real estate signs) that I put underneath the vents to direct water away from everything important.

Wizardawd

That's actually not that bad looking. A higher quality screen/mesh/guard, some slight design changes like adding a deflector on the bottom to redirect water and it's good. I mean, sure beats the hell out of a $600 jdm hood and I bet those cutouts do a better job of pulling heat out.

Wiz

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned