The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Some stupid questions (sorry)

alansupra94

Well I have some stupid questions.

1. What does that slider switch in the dash that says R L do?
2. Has anyone ever run 6x9 speakers in the back? I might just clip the back to fit them but its always nice to know if someone else did it
3. How hard is it to replace those 3in speakers in the dash? Any tips?
4. Is there a way to check if my 4WS has been disabled correctly? I am just double checking everything that has been done to make sure its been done correctly.

Thanks,
Alan

alansupra94

What do you mean by mirrors? I am still a bit confused as the slider gets bound in the middle and only allows me to go left or center but not all the way to the left.

Whoodoo

Come on man, please use the resources that are available here...

Here's a good starting point for getting familiar with the 4WS. I got to this thread by searching '+4ws +pictures -re: -fs:'.

There's also a lot of threads in the how to section.

I don't know about the 6x9's in the back, but why do you want 6x9s? a 6.5 inch round will have much better performance potential.

Please try to have more descriptive thread titles and search search search before you ask questions. Chances are, the info you are looking for is out there. Good places to look are, of course, here, vfaq.com, and *maybe* dsmtuners.com. I say maybe to tooners because you have to sift through a lot of bullshit over there.

EDIT: The side mirrors should be power adjustable. But that switch is on the center console. Perhaps, you are referring to the switch that directs air through the left or right side of the car?

Last edited:

The switch he is talking about I believe is hvac controls, the slider switch. Not sure what it does though, sorry.

Quoting alansupra94:
Well I have some stupid questions.

1. What does that slider switch in the dash that says R L do?
2. Has anyone ever run 6x9 speakers in the back? I might just clip the back to fit them but its always nice to know if someone else did it
3. How hard is it to replace those 3in speakers in the dash? Any tips?
4. Is there a way to check if my 4WS has been disabled correctly? I am just double checking everything that has been done to make sure its been done correctly.

Thanks,
Alan

1. The slider switches the air "flow" from the right side to the left side vents.
2. Yes it is common to run 6x9's in a vr-4.
3. Remove the speaker grill, small flat object. Remove two screws to get speaker out.
4. Look under car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Make sure all lines are removed, check for leaks.
As stated above we have a great amount of information on this site, a few hours of reading you can fix almost anything on these cars....

alansupra94

Okay, that makes sense for directing air. Now I have to figure out why its bound and wont go to the right (passenger side)

Reason I wanted to use 6x9 is that I have a set of Pioneer 6x9 4 ways just collecting dust in my basement that I could put to go use.

And to Whoodoo - I tried to search but there were no thread about checking for a properly removed 4WS. Not to mention, I am not even sure what "+4ws +pictures -re: -fs:" even means. I have read many threads about 4WS but I haven't found anything about checking to see if someone removed it correctly. I have a 1992 with a 4 Bolt rear end so I do not think I need the upgraded ABS unit but I was going to just double check everything one time. I read through the repair manual a couple times already but as expect, it doesn't have any much information on removing the 4WS.

There seems to be alot of small things on the car that I want to fix to avoid problems.

alansupra94

Quoting Team Ducktape:

1. The slider switches the air "flow" from the right side to the left side vents.
2. Yes it is common to run 6x9's in a vr-4.
3. Remove the speaker grill, small flat object. Remove two screws to get speaker out.
4. Look under car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Make sure all lines are removed, check for leaks.
As stated above we have a great amount of information on this site, a few hours of reading you can fix almost anything on these cars....

Thanks!

I will make sure all the lines are gone and that it is plug up correctly. According to the previous owner, he installed a new PS rack/pump.

Thank god that it is that easy to take the speakers out. I didn't want to just dive in there and crack something or break something. On my 1996 Supra, changing the tweeters in the dash is a 6hr job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

When you use the search function on this site it helps to put a plus sign in front of the word you are looking for. +thermostat or +clutch for example.

mooserage

Staff member
Quoting alansupra94:

And to Whoodoo - I tried to search but there were no thread about checking for a properly removed 4WS. Not to mention, I am not even sure what "+4ws +pictures -re: -fs:" even means.

(I really need to save this somewhere for pasting)

Okay, about this, because this will save you unbelievable amounts of time and give you real search results. When you use the search option here on this board you must put a "+" symbol in front of each keyword you want to search for. Example: +4ws +removal Now there are other things you can do, including putting your search in quotes which will find that exact phrase, example: "battery relocation" Lastly, as Whoodoo does when he searches you can put a "-" symbol in front of terms you don't want to show up, example: +turbo -14b If you were searching for turbo information, but didn't want anything on the 14b included in the results. And if you forget any of this, just look under the search box on the search page, it is all there as well. Good luck with everything and hopefully this helps with searching. Trust me, nearly anything you can think of has been done before and a thread exists about it.
-shamus

edit: beat to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Last edited:

alansupra94

Thanks I will search using that information before.

I will make a rebuild/restoration thread soon with all of upgrades and fixes I am going to do with pictures.

The binding in the left to right vent lever is from the wiring to the gauges in the center vent. I did my best to route them around without binding but I guess it's still in the way. It's one of the reasons I listed the gauges in the vent under the problems section lol. The vent is in one of those buckets in the trunk. Good luck!

Edit: and there is no speaker in the drivers dash well, it was gone when I bought the car. You can just pop that grill up with a screwdriver. And I never looked to see if the right dash speaker is still there.

Last edited by a moderator:

broxma

Many 6x9's are too deep and even if you cut the rear deck to put them in they end up hitting the trunk bars. My Polk Audio 6x9's hit the trunk bars so I built custom angled boxes for them which are mounted onto the rear deck. A shallow speaker would probably clear. The Polk's I got have a huge magnet and are probably 5-6" deep.

/brox

alansupra94

Quoting Rjukan:
The binding in the left to right vent lever is from the wiring to the gauges in the center vent. I did my best to route them around without binding but I guess it's still in the way. It's one of the reasons I listed the gauges in the vent under the problems section lol. The vent is in one of those buckets in the trunk. Good luck!

Edit: and there is no speaker in the drivers dash well, it was gone when I bought the car. You can just pop that grill up with a screwdriver. And I never looked to see if the right dash speaker is still there.

Thanks, I didn't want to bug and ask you so I figured I would ask on here.

I already tossed Pioneer speakers all around besides those front 3in speakers. I am going to order either 2 pioneer speakers or possibly 2 3in tweeters with crossovers built in.

Whoodoo

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif If you already went through the process of taking off the doorpanels to change the speakers in there, why wouldn't you just try popping off the front speaker covers? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

alansupra94

For 2 reason:

A. I didn't have any 3 in speakers yet
B. I don't just "try" and pry things off. Thats how you break things especially interior pieces and plastic.

I would rather be safe than sorry. I can wait easily a couple days for a response on a forum than weeks to fix the part I broke and/or replace.

H05TYL

4" speakers in the dash, not 3" - but if you've already got decent speakers in the doors I wouldn't bother - just turf the stock ones.

alansupra94

Sweet, I will grab some pioneers now....4in tweeter is just too big.

I agree with Ho5tyl on just ditching the front dash speakers. They're really not needed.

AnotherNewb

^--- yeah those dash speakers just take up a really good spot to mount a carbonfiber gauge pod, Huh, Bossman

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned