The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

daily driver + semi trailer = ruined friday and new paint

GSX_TC

Holy crap, this thread is awesome! I love seeing this kind of stuff, i wish everybody did this. How much is all of this costing you though man?

misterfixit

A little more than I expected, Jig work was £725 (gbp) paint shop is on a fixed price of £2500 (gbp)

Paint Guy I think is worried it's going to take more time than he'd budgeted so I've been up against it with him, hes been motoring on and skipping stuff which has causd friction when I've explained it was on the list he quoted to. It's been a long long week and it's only wednesday!! On tuesday he was out his son was there so wegot the arches cleaned out, primed, seam sealed and schutzed. I got all the seam sealing done i wanted and we attended to a couple of issues which would have been ridden over.

We dropped the axle (I don't care if its crusty, i don't want it painted!). One thing that pissed me off, was we blasted a hole in the left hand inner quarter panel right by the water drain hole. hopefully it's patched now but was attending to more important things today. He'll be able to patch that and i can take care of the inside of it. The other shitty thing was discovering how shitty the left hand lamp panel was (it had been bashed before in another accident. Probably the wrong judgement but i seamsealed over it and figured it can be fixed another year...

Here is the car on monday:

Needless to say I've not slept well as this is a bit into my skin.. I think all galanters are like this.

Here are a few pics of the car and Joe (body guys son) while the tidying up is being done

Here you can see what I mean by jumping ahead as the basecoat was going on on the door shuts, and has been going onto the back of the doors too:

Sorry there's no more pics and they aren't better, but it was a bit of a rush... but I am bit happier now that its going on the right track. Next thing I have to convice him to do is tighten all the bolts down and paint it in one.

Thats all for now...

Rich

bobdole

looks good. Look forward to seeing her finished. Just noticed you where in the UK. I have family in the midlands UK. I am here visiting. Love driving over here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

misterfixit

Hey Bob, thats because we drive at 70 on the motorways, and mostly it's a bit higher /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Where in the midlands are you? I'll pm.

Here's todays update. It's all the same colour again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
No lacquer yet. that comes tomorrow.....

Bumpers and other bits.. there's a lot of them.

Enjoy.. I have been today!

Rich

Last edited:

RedTwo

It looks pretty good just like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

misterfixit

Hey red two, looks better like this though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Saturday was the little ones birthday party so on penalty of singleness the car was given a back seat. Still after doing the running before the party I needed to I dropped in to see it laquered and man it looked amazing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Great I'd taken Monday and Tuesday off to get it home and water tight, but on monday morning the guy was a no show and when I spoke to him on the phone he said not to bother till tuesday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. So at about 11.30 i couldn't wait anymore and went to see why he didn't want to show it.

The lacqer had sunk, so I left him to it to sort it out. Anyhow I paid it a visit this evening and heres what I found after a good bit of cutting and polishing.

Enjoy, I did:

Still some marks and things around it, but its coming on nicely don't you think?

Rich

2of9

wow. lots of work and effort put into restoring it back guys! Awesome and it looks like it was never hit!

GSX_TC

Dude my car's never been in an accident and yours looks better than mine haha lookin good man. Glad that you care about your car.

misterfixit

Well folks it been a busy and very stressful week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. But the car is home now.

So went to the body shop this morning and collected it on a good freinds trailer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Here it is waiting to be loaded up. Best place to carry the bumper is on the car!

bit mucky and a few paint issues that are just not acceptable, but here we go it's going home to be built up... sort the minor stuff later.

here it is after about three hours of cleaning and fitting, it lives outside so it needed to be waterproof first. There is so much farecla g3 poilishing compound over everything its going to be a bit of a while to fully clean it (you'll see what I mean later.

so progress of sorts..

The clouds have been looking threatening all afternoon so to get it somewhere reasonable is good.
Heres the car after today is done...

So got the boot lid built, tail lights stuck in, ariel on, door switches, looms seals winders, windows, cappings, built mirrors and mounted them, locks, and badges... phew... but still a long way to go.
Heres the very mucky empty engine bay

I forgotthe roof rack trim and window surrounds, weatherstrips from the firewall and all those good things....

Here is the mess that is tomorrows task.

I'm so glad I pulled the chrome strips to have the kit painted, I advise anyone doing a repray to do this, it's bendy placcy trim and the glue comes off with fueland some rubbing.. it looks ace once its done.

Rich

misterfixit

We had a downpour last night, yesterdays good work kept it dry inside so thats a bonus.

... Today started a little bit slower lots of cleaning, still the inside is clean now...

I wanted to do the inside first. The inside takes up the most amount of space off of the car, so I started with the looms as these are in theory easiest to get in with an empty car.. then all the firewall gubbins, so now all the looms are in, rear doors are built.

Hey just look at the pics:

Thats the progress today....

Rich

GSX_TC

Dam ive never seen a VR4 so stripped before, i cant believe your gonna put all that back together yourself man, you have patience

fuel

that's not a VR-4...

fuel

isn't that the ECS junk?

cheekychimp

"Rangi", you're lucky "fuel" saved your arse there ... newbie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

bobdole

Looks great. Lots of work too

misterfixit

Yes, that is the ECS, no its not junk, it works.. have spare struts too.

Had a slow evening playing catchup. front doors are back together, and the rear right sunroof drain was removed by the bodyshop and misplaced. The difficult thing was I threw the spare ones I had thinking I'll never need these in a month of sundays. Got one sorted now as the blue car in the pictures is a breaker so I tore into it this evening and its all on the level.

Now because everything was going well, and I'd got the doors together, I thew in the dash just to suss out the gaps after the jigging. It would seem the 'a' pillar near the cross brace still needs to move a shade as the door is just touching at the leading edge its I'm now in a quandry as to what to do with that.. need an acro prop and a railway sleeper to tickle it across a little.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rich

RedTwo

Quoting cheekychimp:
"Rangi", you're lucky "fuel" saved your arse there ... newbie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I was clearly dazed and confused from seeing a Galant with wheels on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned