The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Converting all wheel drive to front.

Street Surgeon

Quoting brisvr4:
Do you still have you broken trans? If so, just pull the output shaft from it and swap it out with the one from the new trans.
Problem solved. Hopefully it's that easy for you.

BINGO! Wish I would have seen this thread earlier man, do this, it only takes about 10 mins with the trans off the car and you just swap the output shaft I sent you a PM with a "how to" in it.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting belize1334:
Another idiotic (but also kind-of awesome) idea would be to ditch the viscous coupler for an open diff and then build a block-plate to bolt to the transmission which would replace the t-case and fix the output shaft in place. That'd force the center diff to always run at 2x speed and essentially double your gear ratio. 1st would top out at about 64mph etc etc. This would give a theoretical top speed of 300+ mph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also, don't do this... it's dumb.

That would still burn up your open diff.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting tsiboy:
that will work if your goal is to destroy your center differential. you need a welded center diff, 4 spider diff, spool or switchable transmission and tcase if you want to run fwd on a awd trans. you cannot just disconnect the rear diff.

A 4 spider diff wouldn't change how the system works, would it? It's just extra gears within the center diff to prevent them from breaking as easily.

belize1334

Quote:
Quote:

Another idiotic (but also kind-of awesome) idea would be to ditch the viscous coupler for an open diff and then build a block-plate to bolt to the transmission which would replace the t-case and fix the output shaft in place. That'd force the center diff to always run at 2x speed and essentially double your gear ratio. 1st would top out at about 64mph etc etc. This would give a theoretical top speed of 300+ mph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also, don't do this... it's dumb.

That would still burn up your open diff.

Well, eventually the spider gears would wear out and possibly the thrust bearing... but the only thing that simply COULDN'T handle it in the short-term would be the viscous coupler... and I already covered that.

And no, a 4-spider doesn't change anything about the function of the transmission. It's just more reliable than a 2-spider. Leaving the output shaft to free spin will still destroy your VC in two shakes, 4-spider or not.

Last edited:

JackbNimble

Okay, thanks for all the help guys.

My last question is something I posted earlier, but nobody answered. If when the transmission was rebuilt and the gear ratios were changed, would this not cause issues with the rear diff once I got it all hooked up?

belize1334

Shouldn't. The rear-diff ratio just has to match the final drive which is schematically "downstream" of the gearing.

Last edited:

GVR4_1057

Only if the final drive has been changed.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned