The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

clunking sound/feel at stop

fastasleep

Riddle me this, friends.

Every once in a while when I come to a stop, I hear and feel what I would imagine it would sound/feel like if I were towing something small, as the momentum of it transfers from the rear to the front, taking up any minimal slack space between the car and the metaphorical trailer (ie in the hitch) causing the objects to collide or 'clunk' together.

I'm obviously leaning towards this effect coming from the drivetrain, more specifically the rear transfer case or drive shaft, seeing as it feels like it's coming from the rear. Or could a bad motor mount a possibility?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks peeps

Does it only happen right before a complete stop, or if you bit the brakes driving on the highway and then let them go can you feel it?

BlitzVR4

It is your carrier bearings. I have the same problem. I replace my oem driveshaft with a DSS driveshaft. It eliminated one of the carrier bearings, but I did not replace the other.

rgeier11

Could be a stuck caliper or even a bad wheel bearing.

OMFGeofffff

Leaning towards carrier bearings. Crawl under the car and see how bad you can move the driveshaft.

fastasleep

Quoting rgeier11:
Could be a stuck caliper or even a bad wheel bearing.

I have had a squeaking noise that appears to be coming from the right rear of the vehicle that I haven't been able to track down. I've replaced pads and rotors twice (as recently as last weekend) and the caliper once, but the squeak/chirping remained. I'll try to check the bearing back there.

Quoting OMFGeofffff:
Leaning towards carrier bearings. Crawl under the car and see how bad you can move the driveshaft.

Do you mean, see how much I can move the driveshaft from front to back, or at all? I would assume GOOD carrier bearings would prevent any movement in all directions.

Im having kind of the same problem. When I shift while cruising along the sound goes away (when I push the clutch in). Im just not sure if its my carrier bearings in the driveshaft, the rear diff/4ws, or the pax rear side caliper is sticking. I had #103's rear wheels lock up on my the day I drove her home. Im waiting on a call from a buddy on a 1g rear subframe along with a 4 bolt...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned