The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Collapsed door hinge

AuSpecVr4

Hey

Has anyone experienced this? I heard to remove the guards the bumper has to be removed correct? seems alot of work for such a small problem.. its collapsed an inch and a half once opened and is now slamming into the pillar when being closed.

cheekychimp

The bumper doesn't need to be removed, but yes it's still a real PITA to remove the guards/fenders. It's a good 20 minute job each side especially if your splash guards are in good shape and you don't want to drop the bumper.

It's the only way to do it though mate as the hinges are under the guards and there really is no other access! Apart from which, I would WANT to get in there and see what the problem is. From the look of those photos I'd hazard a guess that all the bolts on at least one hinge have either backed out or rusted through/sheared off. You can adjust door height and position by loosening the hinge bolts usually but you shouldn't get that much movement. I've certainly never seen anything like that before!

Edit: If I remember correctly, one of the bolts that holds on the guards/fenders is behind the indicators on each side, so you will have to remove those. I already had my headlights out to do a swap when we did this (which made it much easier) but I can't remember if you can get to those bolts without removing the grill/headlights!

Last edited:

brisvr4

God, I've never seen that before! I'd just pull the front bar at the same time. It's not a hard job to do to get it off.

AuSpecVr4

Yea thanks, i'll get doing it soon before it gets worse. Im just thinking i should chase up another door for the passengers side because it has had an accident there from previous owner and is all out of shape around the door handle. Might go to the WTB section.

Cheers.

brisvr4

If you need doors let me know. A mate has a Red Aspec that he is wrecking atm. He is down Ormeau way.

brisvr4

It is Paul.
He has a White Jspec now that he is about to drop a built motor into.
Should go quiet nicely once it's all buttoned up.
I'm pretty sure he still has the maroon car sitting there being stripped.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned