The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Here we go again...

DR1665

Agreed. Drop a PM prior just in case. Seems like we always miss out on the tourists 'round these parts.

ktmrider

Quoting boostedinaz:
KTM feel free to PM any of us AZ people or just post up. We'll find something to do when you get here. Although it will be tough with 3 Mikes around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Will do gents!
In fact just completed my itinerary, arriving 1030A on Sunday 6/27 and leaving noonish on Friday 7/2. Staying by Chandler Fashion Mall, BJ's has good beer options else I am up for most anything.

Last edited:

DR1665

Bump! Another update!

In order to get the money from the insurance company, I had to have the title branded "salvage." Fine. I took the car through emissions, paid the state $60 to renew my registration through 2011 (they offered me a discount if I paid through 2012), and had the title branded. Lady at the counter took my money, I signed the receipt, she handed me back a fresh registration with the spiffy "11" decal for the tag, and a freshly printed title for the Galant branded "salvage."

This past weekend, I got pulled over because my tag was no good. Not expired, not illegible - not in the system. I handed the officer my current license, insurance and registration. He comes back a couple minutes later saying he ran the VIN and the car is salvaged, so the DMV canceled the plates. You gotta be kidding me.

No worries, says the officer, just go online and print a 30 day tag to keep you legal until you can get in to the DMV and get this all sorted out. Inconvenient, but at least I have an option to pursue. I get home, enter the VIN and my credit card info on the website and get a big fat F-U from Arizona: "Salvage vehicle - Not legal for highway use."

You have got to be shitting me.

So now my fully operational, mostly cosmetically damaged Galant is unfit for the road and I'm fucked into cocked hat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Driving the car to and from work this week has been a flagrant violation of the law. I might as well be driving without a license. I'm supposed to leave for MOD in SoCal Friday afternoon. The lady at the DMV who I spoke to said the earliest appointment she could get me for the $50 level III inspection to get the restored salvage title (which makes the car legal for the road again) is on the far side of town at 1pm on Friday.

They tell me that, at this inspection, they're going to check all the VINs, make sure all the glass is intact, all the safety equipment is in place, and that all the doors open easily. Okay. Whatever. Here's the OFFICIAL info on the AZ DMV website.

3) What Does It Take To Pass An Inspection?
All equipment to meet the requirements of the road must be in good condition and in good working order.

*** Should I pull the bulb for the ABS just in case?

4) What Documents Are Needed For An Inspection?
* Proof of ownership, usually a title
* Valid driver license
* Receipts or invoices for all component parts that have been repaired or replaced.

*** Yet another instance of our mindless consumer whore society sticking it to those of us who aren't inept. When I do repairs myself, there are no receipts. No parts are being replaced in this situation. (Only existing parts being bashed with a hammer to clearance things a bit.)

5) Why Is A Level III Inspection Needed?
To help reduce auto theft, restored salvage vehicles require the more comprehensive Level III inspection that is conducted by specially certified MVD officers. Level III is necessary to verify all major component parts which include front end assembly, engine, transmission, as well as rear end assembly for trucks and truck-type vehicles.

Ah, this will be nice. It's an 18 year old, turbocharged, AWD Mitsubishi. The front end has been wrecked before. I have a JDM front bumper, headlights, fogs, and corners. Pretty sure the fenders were replaced at the same time as the front clip and hood. What you wanna bet none of the VINs ahead of the firewall match.

I have a really, REALLY bad feeling about this. Wanted to vent.

I had to do a level two or three inspection. They mostly want to make sure the car is not a death trap and that it has the orginal vin on the firewall and door jambs. My car did not have vin numbers anywhere except the firewall and she passed me. I'm glad she didn't get under the car or start asking questions about emissions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

As for reciepts, I keep all reciepts in a folder and I document everything installed with the camera. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

And last but not least, bring your drivers license, proof of ins and registration and the new/old title.

boostedinaz

^^^

You probably just had to do a level 1 inspection since the car was bought out of state, I had to do the same with the GTO. He scanned the VIN walked around the car real quick and said thanks.

Brian that sucks dude. Hopefully it all works out but if it doesn't what are you going to do?

DR1665

Yeah, Mike, I think you did a Level II. I had to do that when I got 195 on the road, since it came from out of state too. A little easier when the title is clean and clear and the car is 100% original (short of the engine, which actually came out of a 92 Eclipse GSX). Maybe I've over-thinking this, but I'm just really nervous about it.

Here's something painful to look at. Since the Level III inspection checks to make sure all the doors open/close without interference, and I ran into some interference due to the way the rear quarter panel was shoved into the rear door on the driver's side, I had no choice but to clearance things last night.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Most of them "f***."

Before: Rear quarter contact with rear door, driver side. Opened or closed just right and the driver front door would be stuck. This would not pass the Level III inspection.

The right way to fix this would be to strip the shell down, bolt it to a rack, and let professionals burn through about $1500 or more of labor pulling the unibody back into alignment. This might straighten things out, but it leaves pre-stressed material of questionable integrity for the long term, and the car would STILL have to be sold as a restored SALVAGE vehicle. On paper, this Galant is garbage.

Much like it is with the Sawzall, if a little hammer works okay, more hammer works better.

Now all four doors open and close cleanly and without snag or catch or any other drama.

Oh yeah. It was all I could do to keep from throwing up as I was doing this. I mean, all the complex curves in that location? I pretty much irrevocably fucked the quarter panel doing this. Makes me sick. :shudder

Oh well. Gotta do whatcha gotta do. My dreams of one day restoring 464 to better than new condition just went out the window. She's spare parts for the rally car now. Spare parts that I daily drive.

jepherz

Staff member
That sucks to look at, Brian. However, consider the common shell in good shape on the board here. You should be able to get something clean for around $1000 I'd think and be back in business.

DR1665

Appreciate the support, Jeff, but I think she's a spare rally car now. When I stuff 195, I'll just swap everything over. Insurance money is spent. Going to Germany for 2 weeks and getting a cage put in 195. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IncorpoRatedX

holy sh*t dude...

why do you NEED to open that door so bad?? shoulda left it ok looking and non functional, unless i missed something... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

onesickcrx

Damn dude thats pretty bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting DR1665:
Since the Level III inspection checks to make sure all the doors open/close without interference, and I ran into some interference due to the way the rear quarter panel was shoved into the rear door on the driver's side, I had no choice but to clearance things last night.

IncorpoRatedX

still /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Yeah, it sucks. Not sure what else you can do if you have a salvage car you want to get registered though.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Quoting turbowop:
Hit you because you stopped too fast? Um, no. Everybody knows that if you rear-end somebody, you're at fault for either following too closely or not paying attention.

Good luck man. That sucks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Not really. My best friend just got rear ended in his toyota highlander while in stop and go traffic. He did abosuletly nothing wrong. His insurance said he's at fault (he stopped to quick) and they sent him a letter that they're dropping him so he das to find another insurance co. They will fix his car and give him 4k for his pain and suffering. He's gonna lawyer up ans sue them but I don't know how good his chances are.

boostedinaz

^^^

In AZ if you hit someone from behind it's your fault no questions.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned