The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Here we go again...

ScreaminE

This is almost heart breaking especially after all you went through with 195. If there is anything I can say good aobut this is the fact that you learned a ton from your first accident, rolled up your sleeves, gritted your teeth and gave it hell.

I have no doubts this accident will be the same whether it is you doing the work, or a shop. You will come out more knowledgeable of the process than ever before.

Good luck.

DR1665

Thanks ScreaminE.

This isn't over. We've yet begun to fight.

Talked to my adjuster today. He said that, unless the other guy suddenly comes up with some bizarre change of story (meaning, one he didn't state at the scene, or otherwise suggested some other vehicle forced him into me), he doesn't see how he couldn't be at fault. Then we get down to haggling.

He said that they have to show me how they arrived at their value figure. Then it's on me to prove I have better data. He said this Autosource place had to "escalate" their research due to the rarity of my car. I suspect Autosource escalated it as far as "We can't find any VR4s traded in at a dealership in the last 90 days. Let's look up 92 Galant LS, then."

I'm looking forward to sharing my comprehensive list of nearly 40 GVR4 listings since the first of the year with them. What's that you say? You need specimens in Phoenix? Okay then. There have been TWO sold in the last TWO YEARS. I sold one of them. The other is currently listed for $1900, hasn't run for who knows how long, literally has no brakes installed, will have to be towed by the new owner, and you could plant a tree in the dirt on the roof, it's been sitting so long. If $2000 buys that in Phoenix, I've got a $6000 car. One check please.

Hell hath no fury like the informed gearhead.

img.php

Last edited:

curtis

Does your state have a cell phone law. Hell I think everyone should but if it does or doesn't....get the jetta boy's cell phone number then have a lawyer pull his phone record to see if he was on the phone. Can't hurt if you go to court. As for average asking price. All us JSB's can make some for sale ads. Then put a sold post after a day or so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif I myself wouldn't take a penny less than 15k for my turd after its together.

If they do total it, buy it back and either fix it or part it out is on you. Me and plenty others don't like seeing them go to the crusher but you know if they give you crap for a price that means you buying it back will be nothing but a few hundred.... the ecu and dash plaque will bring that.

raptorWagon

WA just changed their cellphone law recently, they bumped it up to a primary offense instead of a secondary. So if you are caught texting or not using a hands-free setup, they don't need another reason to pull you over.

blacksheep

Quoting DR1665:
Thanks ScreaminE.

This isn't over. We've yet begun to fight.

Talked to my adjuster today. He said that, unless the other guy suddenly comes up with some bizarre change of story (meaning, one he didn't state at the scene, or otherwise suggested some other vehicle forced him into me), he doesn't see how he couldn't be at fault. Then we get down to haggling.

He said that they have to show me how they arrived at their value figure. Then it's on me to prove I have better data. He said this Autosource place had to "escalate" their research due to the rarity of my car. I suspect Autosource escalated it as far as "We can't find any VR4s traded in at a dealership in the last 90 days. Let's look up 92 Galant LS, then."

I'm looking forward to sharing my comprehensive list of nearly 40 GVR4 listings since the first of the year with them. What's that you say? You need specimens in Phoenix? Okay then. There have been TWO sold in the last TWO YEARS. I sold one of them. The other is currently listed for $1900, hasn't run for who knows how long, literally has no brakes installed, will have to be towed by the new owner, and you could plant a tree in the dirt on the roof, it's been sitting so long. If $2000 buys that in Phoenix, I've got a $6000 car. One check please.

Hell hath no fury like the informed gearhead.

img.php

don't forget Johnsminibike's car....

solidviper89

Quoting curtis:
All us JSB's can make some for sale ads. Then put a sold post after a day or so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif I myself wouldn't take a penny less than 15k for my turd after its together.

I'm willing to do it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mine has 155k miles, and the body and is all dinged up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DR1665

Bump!

Thanks for the offers to help flood the market with overpriced Galants, gents, but I will be referring the insurance company to this site, so they'll probably be poking around a bit. Would be in poor taste to argue for a fair value, while secretly trying to cheat. Not how I roll. I want Karma on my side.

An update:
My adjuster finally got a hold of the other guy's adjuster, who called me an hour ago. She asked if I had any injuries. Since I did (FYI: if you have a sore neck after a wreck, that's soft tissue damage and considered an injury), the case now has to be passed along to a bodily injury adjuster.

My adjuster has left messages for the dude who hit me. No returned calls.
HIS adjuster has left messages for him to call. No returned calls.
Now a third person is going to be leaving messages for this dude.

Oh yeah, and I'm told there's some sort of "coverage issue" needing investigated before they can do anything. Since this guy had an expired insurance card, whatchoo wanna bet he had a gap in coverage and they're looking to see if he was actually covered at the time of the accident.

img.php

Blah, blah, blah. You gotta believe me!

Here's hoping the Chief J doesn't have to rip another robe in the pursuit of justice.

^Too bad Karma is bs. Using that logic anybody can run into you and total your car and assume you deserved it. Make them pay.

DR1665

Today is 2 weeks since the Jetta Incident.

Here's an update. This is looking like it's going to be one of those worst case scenarios, so I hope this helps someone out in the future.

WE FINALLY HAVE CONFIRMATION THAT THE OTHER GUY RETURNED A PHONE CALL!
That's right. Dude has actually been in contact with his adjuster. Excellent. Now all we need to do is figure out this "coverage issue." From what I was told today, it's just as I suspected. His policy had lapsed and there was a question of when he paid his bill. He says his wife always handles the bills, so we're waiting for them to speak to his wife.

When did you pay, how much did you pay, how did you pay, where did you pay, and so on.

Okay.

Let's say your insurance payment is due on March 11th. If you don't pay by March 11th, at 12AM March 12th, you have no insurance coverage. Now, suppose you forgot. Ooops! OMFG. You call your agent or go online and you make a payment at 3PM March 12th. Were you covered between 1201AM and 259PM? Probably.

Now, let's say your insurance payment is due on March 11th. You don't pay on March 11th, so your coverage expires at 12AM on March 12th. But you don't pay your bill on March 12th. You don't pay it on the 13th. You don't pay it on the 14th either. Maybe it's two weeks into April and you just rear-ended some guy in a tie who's mentioned his car is one of only a thousand ever sold...

Would you look at the damage, say it doesn't look so bad, then see if the other guy wants to just go separate ways?
This guy did.

When the other guy says he wants to call the police to make sure the situation is handled properly, would you say okay, then start dialing your phone as if calling the police, only to come back and ask the guy you hit if he called the police yet?
This guy did.

Would you maybe act like you were calling the police, but call your wife instead, telling her she better pay the insurance bill and bring you a new card like right freaking now?
This guy's wife showed up on the scene with a spankin' new insurance card right after the officer told me we was going to be cited for not having proof of insurance.

Either they paid their bill on time and had coverage or they didn't. There is no reason why this should take a week plus to figure out.

Gentlemen, I'm contacting the family attorney. NOT one of those ambulance chasing, billboard choad vultures you see all over town. The attorney who has worked with my family in the past. (If you don't have a family attorney, ask your friends who they've dealt with for a referral.)

I will continue to update this thread with info as the epic suckfest continues.

In the meantime, I think I'll get a repair estimate from the Mitsubishi body shop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

boostedinaz

Brian I think you need to contact Learner and Rowe. They seem pretty legit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

call 976-19 oh oh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Ghey.

Brian, do you have calluses on your fingertips? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jepherz

Staff member
I vote new Reality TV show. If I get into (another) accident with either of my cars, I'm going to hire YOU as my lawyer, Dr. Keep us tuned.

DR1665

Thanks for the support fellas.

And damn you, Mike, for the Lerner and Rowe bit. Nine seven seven one nine oh oh. /shakes angry fist

I have an appointment with the family attorney Thursday morning at 8. Will update this, the GalantVR4.org Reality TV (Thread Vent).

DR1665

Met with the attorney's office this morning. They're going to have their insurance expert check out my details and then decide if it's worth retaining them. I might end up having to go to small claims. That would be interesting. We'll see. In the meantime, here's the official estimate from the body shop at the local Mitsubishi dealership.

At this point, even I agree that the car is totaled. $3000 in repairs (minimum) on a $4000 car (maximum)? Yeah. Another one bites the dust. At least on paper. We'll see how this plays out...

DR1665

4 weeks and 2 days after the incident, I get a call saying there was coverage in place at the time of the accident. NICE!

They no longer have the initial estimate their shop did last month, so I have to go back next week. They offered the shop will be able to issue payment on the scene and, should additional repairs be needed during the process, they will have to revisit the claim. I tried to tell her that's unnecessary information because I know they're going to total the car out and that our next step was all about determining value and she offered me $350 for my injuries. They could just send this to me.

Now, I spent $40 in co-pays visiting the doctor after the accident. I spent some more co-pays on prescription medications after the accident. $350 would easily cover these, but is it fair that my employer-provided insurance pays for the rest? If I take this $350 and my insurance comes back saying I now owe them $1000, I'm screwed.

Just something to keep in mind if you find yourself in this situation.

Things are about to start moving on this one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Get your popcorn.

jepherz

Staff member
I thought in some states, if your medication cost doesn't exceed X amount, and you have insurance, your insurance covers the cost even if it's not your fault?

DR1665

Could be the case. I was told by my insurance company that this is not the case here. Just as well. The total claim was $95 and I paid $42 of that.

I'm off to the Cars for Sale section to chew on some fresh data...

boostedinaz

Quoting DR1665:
Could be the case. I was told by my insurance company that this is not the case here. Just as well. The total claim was $95 and I paid $42 of that.

I'm off to the Cars for Sale section to chew on some fresh data...

You should look into that one that I am working on this weekend. It needs work but you have the resolves to make a decent car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned