The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch Problems

2000GTX

Hey guys

So recently I've been having some clutch slippage. The strange thing is that it slips past 4k RPM in second and third gears and that's it. It grabs fine taking off, and it wont slip if I push it too hard either.

So the question is, what parts are going bad? Or is nothing going bad and the pedal is just maladjusted and there are residual hydraulic forces in the system?

My car is driveable, no problem, it just annoys me when I'm getting on the freeway and I can't get on it as fast as I want to. And I don't have the funds to get anything big fixed right now.

Any input is appreciated, thanks for reading.

MellowVR4

Hmmm, only thing I can think of would just be the clutch disc itself, cant think of nothing else man.

2000GTX

Yeah the disc is what I figured was wrong. It just sucks ass to replace it.

And no kidding is that REALLY when the most HP is created? In powerband? Really, no way.

Thanks for the help.

G

Staff member

2000GTX

Thanks for the link, but I'm not quite at that stage yet. I'm at the "lets throw darts at google and see what sticks"

My GTX is my DD and I don't have the time or the tools or the cash right now to rip it open and look at it.

I dunno, I'm going to bleed my lines and see if there's something wrong with my slave before I go getting too deep into it.

G

Staff member
Well if you don't like the solution to your problem then >> click

Actually it's missing a page. Let me see if i can find it.

Last edited:

tektic

How many miles on the clutch? How is the car driven? Is the car modified? If so how much power is it currently producing? Are there any other simptoms besides slipping at higher rpm?

2000GTX

Well as far as I know, wowzer said he put a new clutch in it about 25,000 miles ago when I bought it. But then again he said he put new ball joints and tie rod ends in it too and I just had to replace both on my driver's side last week. I dunno.

But it's N/A and bone stock so I can't imagine the car is too powerful. Another symptom is that my pedal is really damn stiff... uh and it seems to change with the temperature.

I've probably done some damage to it, I've burned it, where I could smell it, maybe like 5 times over the course of 2 years.

MellowVR4

maybe the pressure plate is coming loose? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2000GTX

That's sort of what I was thinking? I dunno.

I would just think that if the clutch plate was worn out, I would have more issue taking off from a stop, but the only time this happens is when I'm pushing it.

SSGdave

How far out is the clutch pedel from the floor when your clutch engages?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif Well either way, whatever is going on your going to have to replace it (Clutch Assy).
Sorry man, Trans has to come off.

JCorbo25

Quoting 2000GTX:
That's sort of what I was thinking? I dunno.

I would just think that if the clutch plate was worn out, I would have more issue taking off from a stop, but the only time this happens is when I'm pushing it.

Worn clutches will take off from a stop just fine, they start slipping with torque hence why most slip above 4k rpms.

Try watching your transmission/slave as a buddy pushes in the clutch pedal, verify you are getting proper travel on the slave and the transmission is not moving away from the block.

maroonmetallic

I will confirm that car had lots of parts replaced in the year prior to it being sold.
If I'm not mistaken it had new control arms done to it from Rockauto.

The clutch was replaced with an ACT if I remember correctly.

-Shawn

CutlassJim

Quoting tektic:
You know over 4k is where your making the most hp right?

Too bad clutches don't give a sh*t about hp and only care about torque.

Quoting 2000GTX:
Yeah the disc is what I figured was wrong. It just sucks ass to replace it.

And no kidding is that REALLY when the most HP is created? In powerband? Really, no way.

Thanks for the help.

A fellow cohort in sarcasm YAY!

2000GTX

This guy knows whats up.

But yeah I'm thinking I'm going to check out the slave and stuff tomorrow, and then if I can't get it to magically fix itself, I guess I figured out where my tax return is going.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts