The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch Pedal Issue

Hittman

have to seriously dig the clutch pedal to the floor in order for car to start, but clutch works fine while shifting.

KiNgMaRtY

I'm the same boat as you are and I am now having to dig it in for shifting so I guess I will have to take care of it soon. It just seems like such a PITA

Hittman

will check that...do these usually go bad? Replaced my Master and Slave about 8 months ago...no issues since except for this which started 3-4 weeks ago.

AnotherNewb

Stab your clutch all the way down and let off. Reach down and pull the peddle up? Did it move? If yes, the peddle needs rebuilt.

Hittman

^it does have a little bit of play, AKA doesnt come up all the way, till i pull it. How hard is it to rebuild a clutch pedal?

Hittman

Quoting se7enine:
Check clutch start switch or just unplug?

The one under the steering wheel...correct?

Mac

Unplug it from under the dash. But you will most likely need to rebuild your pedal assembly if there's play in the pedal.

LIV4PSI

Quoting Hittman:
^it does have a little bit of play, AKA doesnt come up all the way, till i pull it. How hard is it to rebuild a clutch pedal?

JNZ sells a new pedal, bar, and brass bushing. It's under $100. It's just tedious, pulling the pedal assembly isn't very fun

se7enine

Quoting Hittman:
Quoting se7enine:
Check clutch start switch or just unplug?

The one under the steering wheel...correct?

Yes, Just follow your clutch pedal up till you see the sensor that the pedal bracket makes contact with.

Hittman

Guys...it was WAY easier than a clutch rebuild...

I traced the clutch pedal up to the clutch switch...and found that attatched to the top portion of the clutch pedal was a plastic piece that contacts the switch...thus letting the car know that 'clutch is in, lets start this bia up' ...that plastic piece was worn down...as shown below...

I went ahead and replaced this piece with a bolt with the same diameter and width, and capped it off with a piece of plastic to hold it in...

NOW..no issues! Dont have to hammer down on the clutch to start the car...

my questions is.. do they sell just THIS piece? Instead of doing the rebuild and spending $100, we can just spend $3-8 and replace this piece.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
They do. I have new ones if someone wants one.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned