The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

clunking sound then sudden stop

b00st33d

I was exiting the freeway awhile ago, trying to avoid traffic, when I heard a clunking sound then suddenly my car stopped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. It scared the crap out of me! Good thing the car behind me did not hit me. Anyway, I got my car towed back home. While the towtruck driver was putting my car on the flatbed, the car wont move forward but when he got my car on an incline and put a slack on the cable, it would move backwards easily.
Could somebody help me diagnose what's broken? TIA

Terry Posten

Locked up transfer case.

I bet you also snapped a rear axle.

Mine did the same thing, and all 4 wheels were locked then when the rear spline snapped in the rear diff, you could roll it.

b00st33d

Thanks for the reply.
I lifted the car again and check out the rear axle and they seemed fine. The rear wheels still turns independently with the front wheels on the ground. The front wheels, on the other hand, can be turned by hand, forward and backward, but the opposite front wheel does not turn with it. Does this still point out to the transfer case?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned