The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Problem, Need HELP

Alright first thanks for checking the thread out.

Alright while back my Galant got towed, and i think they towed it like it was a 2 wheel drive car, without a flatbed.
Then my axles started acting up, started clicking and jerking when i turned and when i accelerated. it went away at high speeds.

But now when i try to accelerate the car feels like its going no where and my revs shoot through the roof. The car moves just slowely, like my clutch is burnt out but it cant be, cus the car moves. Its like the front tires dont move anymore

Transfer case?
Axles?

Please could use some impute before i decide on what to do

HHIVR4

If you suspect it was towed like a 2wd then you need to verify that first..If they did tow it like that then you will need a new transmission and transfer case.

They said they used a dolly system, where you lift the tires off the ground i guess

Barnes

There are several possibilities. However this sounds very similar to something that happen to my friends car. I would first check the rear axles to see if one broke. It is not uncommon for a rear axle to break inside the differential, and still have the axle still be inside the diff. Easiest way to check is to grab the inner CV joint and try to move it around by hand. If they are solid, they are probably not broken.

If the axles are fine, it sounds like your center diff or viscous coupler is hosed.

If one of the axles is busted, replace it. Drive it and see how it feels.

After that I would drain your transmission fluid. Reason is that if you busted an axle, and you drove it around like that for a while, you could have destroyed your center diff. Draining the fluid will pretty much tell you immediately if you destroyed it due to driving with a busted axle.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts