The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

clicking sound from passenger side footwell

alright, this has happened before in the past, but not nearly this much, and not nearly this... produceable? if that makes sense, lol, but anyway! it happens at like, just barely any throttle, I can accelerate just fine, but then when I let off the throttle almost but not all the way (SAFC says between 8-10% throttle mostly) I hear a very rapid solenoid-like clicking coming from the passenger side footwell. Nothing changes in like, how the car is behaving, just the loud clicking, very rapid, and goes away as soon as you either let off on the gas completely or give it more gas... any ideas? I really have no idea what this could be.

Thanks guys!
-mike

raptorWagon

+1 Could be your MPI relay under the kick panel, the connector might be loose and just need to be checked to make sure it is firmly connected.

Cool, I'll check out the wiring situation down there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif haven't heard it the past few days, it's weird, it's only every so often /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Have your caps been replaced in the ECU? A chattering MFI relay is often caused by ECU damage.

to be honest, i have no idea, me and my buddy brent took the ecu out to get to the wiring for the SAFC, but we didn't open it... i can do that this weekend though, what am i gonna be looking for?

steve

Gimpin

Quoting mikewitdaspike:
to be honest, i have no idea, me and my buddy brent took the ecu out to get to the wiring for the SAFC, but we didn't open it... i can do that this weekend though, what am i gonna be looking for?

if i were you I would drive it as little as possible untill you get your ecu checked out ... replacing caps can be inexpensive ... replacing an ecu is not

took a peek at it without opening it a few minutes ago, it says "mitsubishi remanufactured" on it... good sign or bad?

dsmless

hey man just open it, smell it and look at it carefully, mine was repaired but a couple years later the fuel pump power signal circuit fell to the efects of cap acid even though it was said to be repaired, if your check engine light is on and its code 42 just start lookng for a new ecu

steve

Quoting mikewitdaspike:
took a peek at it without opening it a few minutes ago, it says "mitsubishi remanufactured" on it... good sign or bad?

No telling until you open it and inspect the board.

ouch... my ECU is toast i think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif sorry for the super crappy cell phone pics, but it's the only camera i have:

IMG00176.jpg

IMG00175.jpg

IMG00173.jpg

i'm guessing that one in the middle has like... exploded or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

donniekak

You either have a bad isc, or enough acic leaked onto the isc coil b trace and fried ic 105. Before you install another ecu check the isc, you could do the same thing to a good ecu. This is donnie up in surprise, i'll buy that blown ecu off you, text me.

As Donnie said, what you are seeing is the results of either a bad ISC, or damage from the 47uF cap that was leaking. Its not what is causing the chattering though. It looks like someone put new caps in your ECU, but you need to make sure that they soldered the leads of the caps to both the top and bottom of the ECU. Your pictures are too fuzzy to tell if the acid damage traveled to the area of IC110, that vertical ceramic board on one side of the caps.

Welcome.....to ECU hell......Get it fixed/replaced ASAP. Mine burned out while the new one was in the mail. The lifespan of that ECU is measured in minutes/hours until you get it fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned