The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Leaking gear oil

Lucas03ES

So I was driving along just fine, and out of nowhere I heard a sort of clunk from directly under the motor/tranny. I didn't think too much of it because I thought it could be something from the road. Related or not, I get home after work and go to drive somewhere a bit later, and insied the cab smells like gear oil, and I did not see any visible leaks from under the car, so fine I drove it. I drove about 30 miles, and about ten miles before home, a clicking noise started to appear from the passenger side of the motor, and when in first gear only, the clicking accelerated with the car, any other gear it was fine. I get home, and look and its leaking, shut car off to get other car from the garage. Upon starting it again, I hear two louder knocks from that side of the motor, and then drove it into the garage. I cannot pinpoint where it is coming from cause everything is wet from another oil leak i am also fixing. The car just had Pennzoil syncromesh added 500 miles ago, recently adjusted clutch (improperly, gonna do that too), and the slave cylinder rubber piece was not on the slave itself, just kinda hanging there, if it matters. If you can deceipher what I am trying to say, please help me! All input is appreciated as always! Thanks!

jepherz

Staff member
Sounds like you probably have to drain your transmission oil and see how much metal is in there, sadly...

When you say it's leaking......what's leaking? Is it trans fluid or brake/clutch fluid?

jepherz

Staff member
" cause everything is wet from another oil leak i am also fixing."

I think the only inclination he has towards it being gear oil is the smell.

Lucas03ES

Ill go drain the fluid from the tranny right now... What could cause that noise in only first gear? Im scared.

jepherz

Staff member
Sounds like something is seriously broken in there to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Lucas03ES

im going to look into this tonight. im gonna drain the tranny and look. hopefully its not the tranny or im pulling the motor and trans and redoing it all

Lucas03ES

So I just now got a chance to take a look at the car. I had the RF wheel off the ground and the car was on a jackstand. I started the car, and when I was letting my foot off of the clutch it kinda thudded, idk how to really describe it. I let the car down while it was still running, and wasn't making a noise. I got to pop it into reverse and it grinds worse than usual (it has grinded slightly going into reverse since I have owned it. I pulled out of the garage and drove back into the garage, and it made the same clicking noise while in first. It however didn't smell of gear oil nor does it appear to be leaking now. Not much oil had came out of the tranny before so I don't think it could be empty. Ideas?

Did you drain the fluid and look at it yet? Problems, unfortunately don't fix themselves, but usually get worse.

Lucas03ES

I tried to drain the fluid today, didn't work out so well because it was empty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I also stuck my pinky in there and out came a piece of metal on my finger. I feel like this is a sign... here we come new transmission with LSD, 4 bolt LSD rear swap, 6 bolt swap (some idiot dropped in a '97 7 bolt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif), and an HX35, all as soon as I sell my GST. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Diego

I hear this..... but my clanking noise was the ds cv grinding down the oil pan..... yippie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Quoting Lucas03ES:
im going to look into this tonight. im gonna drain the tranny and look. hopefully its not the tranny or im pulling the motor and trans and redoing it all

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned