The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Carbon trunk people

Are you guys drilling out the hold for the lock or leaving it filled in? Also what about the trim garnish that goes along the bottom? I can see outlines where the trim holes are and I can use my stock one as a reference but I wanted to double check since those holes are pretty small that I would have to make. Appreciate any info on how or if any others are doing this.

Thanks!

Drilling the lock hole and transferring the chrome trim strip. I broke some of the threaded fasteners on that trim so I rebuilt them by cutting some small bolts of the same thread spec and epoxying them to the back of the strip.
Mike R.

^

MJ, do you have any pictures by any chance of your finished product from the inside and out? My car is at paint but I have the hood and trunk in the garage and I want to start prepping them so they just go on. Thanks!

spooling92vr4

i ran into afew problems installing mine. and i did cut out the trunk lock which came out nice.

1. I had to grind my tail light bezel on the top a bit because the stock trunk has a lip where as the carbon trunk does not. I didnt cut the holes for the licence plate lights though.

2. the carbon trunk is thicker than the stock metal lid so i had to epoxy the trim piece on. you dont have to get the holes exact because the clips actually slide so there is room for error.

3. because my car was hit in the back it took alot for me to get the trunk to even close and latch properly... as of yet im chalking it up to the poor body work on the car and not the trunk lid itself.

ill try to get some pictures up soon, its been raining like crazy here so havent had a chance to do anything car related

For the trim piece should I even use the clips if I am just epoxying them?

Taillight bezel? You are talking about on the backside where you don't see anything anyway though right?

Thanks guys.

Quote:
MJ, do you have any pictures by any chance of your finished product from the inside and out?

No still a work in progress. I've been stalled on that for some time (like a year) due to some internal damage and no time to work on it. I left one of the trunk springs in place but even the one spring was strong enough to rip the latch screws out of their holes and I have not fixed it yet. This unit was probably one of the last ones delivered by Paulo when he was doing these a few years ago. I was also having some fitment trouble with the tail lights, was taking a lot of reshaping of cut outs in the rear panel. But I know it will come out OK eventually -- because it has to. Plus it will look tits with an Evo I rear spoiler.

Definition of an optimist: owner of a Mitsubishi Galant VR4
Definition of a delusional optimist: owner of a modified Mitsubishi Galant VR4

Mike R.

Last edited by a moderator:

spooling92vr4

i drilled holes and used the clips.. i suppose you could just epoxy it on without the clips... the tail light center section needs to be ground down on the top where the plate lights go if you look at the stock trunk and the carbon one you will understand what im talking about.

^Ok I have a spare taillight center section I can play around with it tonight. Also are you guys using the Paolo trunks or this last batch from hirevperformance? I got their hood and trunk combo and I think its a different mold.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned