The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car Wash

NDVR4

Do I dare run my galant through an automatic car wash? The thing that concerns me is that my radio antenna lost the ability to retract when aftermarket dvd player was installed. I was planning on doing the car wash today, so if anyone could answer if I should not do it for fear of losing my rear glass I would appreciate it!

GSTwithPSI

Personally, I would never run any car I cared about through an automatic car wash. If I did, it would have to be have one of the touchless car washes, which do a shitty job. The ones with brushes are pretty much as abrasive as they come. A million cars worth of dirt are on those brushes, which then gets wiped all over your car.

If you absolutely have to get it washed, I suppose a touchless wash would be ok. Usually, I've found that most legit car washes offer a hand wash that's only about $10 bucks more on average. Most "premium" automatic car washes at the gas station or whatever run almost $15 bucks anyways, and do a sh*t job. So, $30 for a hand wash isn't a bad deal.

The antenna wouldn't be safe in a car wash with brushes. Also, if your car is lowered, you'll likely have clearance issues. Just things to keep in mind. A hand wash is the real way to go. Either do it yourself, or pay someone. I would drive a dirty car before running it through an automatic wash. Unless there's salt or something all over it, there's no real rush to clean it.

Last edited:

NDVR4

There is salt on it, although I am going to strip it down this summer. Just figured I would try to save myself some work later haha. Most of the time I do them myself since I have a pressure washer, but with a high today of 26* I can not. So I will try to see if we have a touchless in the area, thanks for the advice.

coyotes

Buy a wash mitt, soap your car up at one of those do it yourself places, wash it with the mitt then rinse.

Bring a clean rag or microfiber if you don't want to buy a mitt. But they're like 5 dollars.

Last edited:

prove_it

Most automatic washes are not as bad as you guys are making them. If they are maintained then they do a great job. Here at the dealership we wash brand new black cars all the time and have no issues with scratches. It will rip loose parts off including antennas.

Find a place that actually maintains the wash and your fine. Lots of businesses won't take care of the wash which leads to paint scratches. Most of all newer washes will self clean the brushes as long as the nozzles don't clog. We have to inspect nozzles weekly and clean them.

Washing it yourself with elbow grease is always better, but for a winter rinse off, a car wash is more efficient. A good coat of wax helps a lot too.

GSTwithPSI

The thing is, no matter how well maintained, there is still a lot of dirt left on the car wash's brushes. Same thing goes if you use a wash mit at home. Unless you run it through the clothes washer, a simple spray with a hose doesn't come close to removing all the dirt caught in the mit. Sure, the brushes may do a good job and be ok every now and then. But, I promise, over time after prolonged use, your paint will start to show the effects of constant shitty automatic car washing.

Jesus_Negros

Hand washing whenever I can. But east coast winters make you not want to wash the car at all. Then spring +pollen.

coyotes

Like the guy above said, a good wax will go a long way in helping keep the crud out of your paint, it will rinse off your car much easier.

I wash my mitts after ever car wash and replace them frequently. Paint on my car isn't that great but no reason to make it worse.

NDVR4

There is a do it yourself but I don't feel like I could get the undercarriage. So I tracked down a touchless and will try that for now.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned