The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Please help after mods car stall and won't run......Fixed

ExplicitCC

Hello guys a few weeks back I purchased #901/2000 I always wanted a GVR4 since I've had a GSX, still have a 3000gt VR4, and owned an Evo 8, but wasn't happy till I got #901, the car came with a big 16g, and walbro 255, egr deleted, FIAV blocked, so I started doing some mods from my past experience, FMIC, 3" exhaust, down pipe, I also got my hands on an Evo 3 intake manifold and that's when it got interesting, I installed the manifold and decided to wash my engine bay while I was at it, I covered all the sensors and engine ports and avoided getting them wet as best as I could, then I got a 3g maf, and since I had a deal going for a GM maf I did the conversion since the 3g maf came with the pig tail, but the guy bailed on me so I went back to my 1g, but now my car stalls and won't stay on, I can hear the turbo spooling, and it idles really bad, I know the coils have ground, I'm pretty sure the maf wires are in right order but I don't know what else it can be, can anybody please help me? Do I need to do anything else with the Evo 3 Intake mani mod? I want to have #901 back up and running, thanks in advanced

Last edited:

BENE38A

did you port out the intake manifold to suit the vr4's big intake ports vs the small evo ports? wether or not this would make a difference im not sure

BENE38A

water can find its way into many different places that it shouldn't, give the engine and components a spray with compressed air.

brisvr4

Do you have an Evo head on it? If not pull the Evo manifold off and reinstall the vr4 unit. I'll bet it runs perfect again!
There is a large difference in the port sizes. I'm amazed that you even got it to start.

holeshotmoe

Assuming you don't have major intake leakage, the smaller ports in the evo intake shouldn't make much difference at idle. But it sounds like you might have had the wires for the MAF disconnected...so I would double check that carefully to be sure.

ExplicitCC

Thanks guys this really helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif , I also read that maybe a 2g intake manifold would work better without having to swap my head, is this true? My little brother has a 96 GSX and mite sell/trade him if so

4g63mightymax

Do you have a boost/vacuum gauge? If so, whats the vacuum reading? To me, this sounds like a pretty standard vacuum leak. Look for leaks between your MAF and your intake manifold, as that is the most common area. Also make sure you didn't accidentally leave some ports open on the intake manifold.

ExplicitCC

Does anyone know where the Barometric pressure sensor or the Idle position switch are? I'm trying to rule out the más wiring, thanks

donkeylips

One time my friend accidentally put the washers to the intake manifold nuts in between the manifold and the head.
And don't try using the 2g intake manifold with a 1g/gvr4 head. Just get one from a 1g. They're very easy to find.

ExplicitCC

Got it!!! Thanks for all your help here are some pics showing the problem, the VR4 head intake port is too big for the evo 3 IM, I'll sell it and look into a different one, thanks again

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Did you use that gasket?

Nice built in vacuum leak.

ExplicitCC

^^^ Yes it's the one it had on it

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting iceman69510:
Did you use that gasket?

Nice built in vacuum leak.

With a proper gasket, it should run decently, assuming no other sensor issues.

Grab the proper gasket, fixer up and you'll be trucking in no time.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned