The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Can someone tell what this is. "Pics inside"

Steve885

When I was cleaning the block I noticed these lines in the cylinder walls when u rub you finger over them there is no difference in smoothness( strange

fuel

doesn't look good! that is a portion of the bore/crosshatch honing marks which have been worn away due to a few possibilities like overheated pistons, cracked ring-lands and/or cracked rings, debris/carbon stuck between piston skirt/crown and cylinder walls.

Either way I would be checking the bore dimensions to check if the bore is still round and within spec otherwise you'll need to bore it one size over and fit oversized pistons/rings.

Fiascoxl

If those walls look like that then the skirts on the pistons are also gonna be worn down pretty badly. That engine needs to be pulled and checked, my guess is it is gonna need a bore not just a hone.

MellowVR4

This is exactly the way one of my cylinder walls where on my GGSX when I removed my head, but compression is still at 150+ on that cylinder, plus the engine has 148k /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif im sure in the future ill do a rebuild because i know it might need it. But for now, its good

Wizardawd

Usually I have seen those marks from overheating. But if everything checks out in spec, it'll still run fine.

Wiz

MellowVR4

I just asked a tech here at work, and he said those scratches are usually caused from piston slap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Wizardawd

Not sure how a slap would drag up and down the cylinder. Not to mention, it's all the way to the top which is beyond the piston's contact area. Again, more than likely just over time the different expansion rates of the metals causes some out of roundness. This is accelerated greatly during overheating.

Wiz

MellowVR4

You may be right

GSX_TC

The Wiz has spoken.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Is it just me. The pistons rock front to back, back to front of the block, not side to side inline with the wrist pins. Slap at the skirts should be one the back and front walls. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
I could see pistons getting hot causing unusual contact, as the top of the piston head is the only thing travelling up that far.

Last edited:

Steve885

U know Thinking back when I first took off the tranny all the flywheel bolt were loose and I could move the flywheel around with my hand I wonder if it was slightly moving the crank side to side when engaging the clutch..

EHmotorsports

Excessive thrust clearance has caused issues like that before.

prove_it

Beat me too it. If your getting wear like this on the sides of the cylinder then you have excessive thrust bearing wear. Think crankwalk. If the lines were on the load sides of the cylinders its a bit more normal if your running bigger power. The sides though, bad bearings. Better check the rods and see if they have excessive side wear and also on the crank.

Pending on the condition of the cylinder, ie taper, out of round and surface quality sometimes a good hone can clean it out. If you can't catch it with a nail you MIGHT be ok. If your making stock power, you don't have to have a perfect engine to be ok. It could get by. Otherwise any mods and you'll want it done right.

misterfixit

The shininess is the piston rubbing in that area for any of the reasons stated above. Shiny bit is usually ally being deposited or filling the hone surface ( think sandpaper loading up.)

i'd open her up just to see what the pistons. look like. As has been mentioned, you may be able to dress it all out and be in spec, but best tear into it to be sure.

Rich

mitsuturbo

I'd have to say that may be attributed to crankwalk or excessive crankshaft endplay. That is most certainly NOT possible due to "piston slap", as the skirt of the piston is unable to contact that part of the cylinder wall.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts