The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

prove_it

Its a VR4... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like there is an exhaust leak for one. Cracked manifold? Also you have lifter tick and standard injector noise.

Your idle could be a result of the throttle body seals leaking air in. What do you have modded?

Also I have a K&N with a modded air can if you wanna buy

It has hks 272's and a 3" exhaust. If the lifters are sticking doesn't that mean the cylinders are being somewhat starved? I know the oil is low but if I add some will that resolve the ticking? How much would you let the filter go for?

prove_it

If the injectors are stock, I doubt there is an issue. I'm leaning towards a air leak. Try spraying some brake clean around the throttle body and intake manifold while idling. If there is a leak the idle will jump and bog. Common leaks are the throttle body seals and injector seals.

mitsuturbo

First.. bolt down your throttle cable and coil pack.

As for the noise... can you hear it under the car? It almost sounds like a leaking downpipe flex section as well as a little lifter chatter.

Wookalar

Do not spray brake cleaner on the TB. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Spray some soapy water on it and surrounding vacuum lines when the engine is idling (and cold). If you have leaks you will see bubbles.

And you can also make a boost leak tester out of pvc from home depot. Do a search. Some places sell them, like machv motorsports.

Upgrade your lifters to a later revised gen and the tickijg should subside.

Also, if the tb is leaking it would be your SHAFT seals that need replacement. You can try this yourself, or send it to Steve at throttlebodys dot com.

Last edited:

prove_it

Ah, no. Not sure what you smoked, but the air is being pulled into the intake. If you spray soapy water you won't see bubbles, as the air is NOT being pushed out. That only works if your doing a boost leak test when your under pressure.

And for fun, please explain why your concerned over spraying brake clean on the throttle body at idle?

Wookalar

Ah, I see why you would spray cleaner but to me it's a crude way to check, and really not needed.

If you have a twenty two year old car with mostly original parts, then you can be sure that all rubber seals will be toast and need replacing at this point.

transparentdsm

Quoting prove_it:
Its a VR4... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like there is an exhaust leak for one. Cracked manifold? Also you have lifter tick and standard injector noise.

Your idle could be a result of the throttle body seals leaking air in.

pretty much all of this and the brake cleaner thing. also the idle thing maybe the FIAV backed out, or even the IAC is acting up.

if you take the valve cover off the car you can grab and try to move each of the rockers, if one moves then that lifter is dead and needs to be replaced. i would just spend the 100$ and buy a set of 3g lifters anyway. now if none of the rockers move id start thinking maybe the hydraulic tensioner for the timing belt is going bad. also check the timing belt if you don't know when it was replaced.

its hard to diagnose a car from a video over the internet.

Yeah I agree I really appreciate the feed back guys hopefully I can get some time this weekend to look into it further

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts