The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Body damage worth fixing?

donkeylips

Here are some pictures:

100_1396.jpg

100_1395_zps0c7fef82.jpg

100_1394_zps6229e016.jpg

The body on this car is otherwise in great shape. It has no rust (the rusty gusset plate, brake booster, and rear motor mount are from other cars).
I'm debating whether or not to keep it. I prefer my cars have close to perfect bodies and I'm wondering if this can be made to be close to perfect again.
It had this damage when I got the car, and doesn't seem to have too much of an effect on anything. The radiator core support has a pretty big dent. It looks like somebody ran over something to cause damage to both areas.

Can a body shop tell me if the car is otherwise straight, or if it's tweaked?
Say hypothetically that the car was worth some money due to its rarity. How much would this hurt the value (before or after a repair). Can it be repaired, how much will it cost, and how obvious will it be that it was repaired?
What would you do in this situation?

Also, I have a spare rad. core support that has been cut off of a galant vr4, but I don't have the frame rail section that it needs (had I known when I cut up 497/2000...). Is this the same on a base model Galant? We have a few of them in a local yard.

CutlassJim

That doesn't look bad at all and nothing goes there. I say leave it.

kama1

^+1,its just a dent.i dont think thats gonna affect anything.

IncorpoRatedX

took that chassis to a body shop years ago to make sure, the guy i talked to said 'sure, i can spend your money if you want, but it wont change anything other than the bumper fitment' which is off like .25 of an inch. not even really noticeable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

prove_it

Nope it's junk. Better sell it to me. I'll give $400.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IncorpoRatedX

i'll give you 500!

prove_it

505!

donkeylips

We can start the bidding if you guys want...but it will be slightly higher than that.

citymunky

$505.01 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IncorpoRatedX

wait, why isnt there an engine in this car? does this mean i wont see it at shoot out this year? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

marvinmadman

"frame" rails should be the same as any other Galant. I did it already. I spliced it between the Tranny mount bracket. But that was for WAY more damage than this. I'd just put it on a frame machine and pull it. Should cost about $300 and about an hour at most.

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

yeah i was definitely told it could be pulled but, like i said, it wasnt messing with anything, the front core support is the same as the VR4, the USDM GGSX even has the JDM VR4 FMIC mounting holes on it, pretty sure they're all the same (awd at least)

marvinmadman

I'd leave it alone also. FWD is the same except the mounting holes don't have the nuts welded in. Just holes...

donkeylips

Quoting Alpha Male:
wait, why isnt there an engine in this car? does this mean i wont see it at shoot out this year? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

There's an engine in it now. I should definitely have a car at the shootout this year. There's a good chance it will be this one. I'm still dailying my winter car (924/1000), and it should still be in running condition for the shootout as well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned