The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BG to olive drab

mikus

ok so I've picked up a BG with major paint uglies and I'm tossing around ideas for a cheap solution. Factors:
1) I will prep it, and might also spray it.
2) Low budget, talking

Barnes

Quoting FavNumber:
no

mikus

For those who don't like this idea (which is fairly understandable), would you suggest anything given the inputs above?

Honda eucalyptus green is... OK, but feels the same as BG to me. I'm not ruling out the same BG or similar, just tossing ideas around.

Andy_S

The vw looks ok. If your paint isn't great, then why not. Just don't make it glossy. Flat or matte is the way to go IMO.

AnotherNewb

I say yes. Just be sure to throw some military markings in so it becomes 'that army themed car' instead of just the one with a cheap paintjob.

Struc

Don't go single color. Go army colors! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

img.php

JB

I like that on the 911.

turbowop

Do it. I still want to do 503 in snow camo like Jon Olsonn's Lambo pictured above. My clear coat keeps getting worse and worse, so I'm going to need to do something soon. If the paint is sh*t, have some fun. You can always do a professional respray later.

cheekychimp

I have actually thought about olive drab for a VR4 before. I have mentioned it more than once. There will always be those for and against the idea. A car that gets used in the mountains like Marks will probably pull it off easier than an urban daily for sure, but I certainly don't think it would look crap if done correctly. For the record, by doing it correctly I mean make the accessories/ancillaries match. It could look good with black wheels, a roof rack, bull bars and auxiliary spot lights etc. It won't look good with the chrome strip in the bumpers and side moldings, 19 inch chrome rims, polished lips etc but you seem like you realize that already so I think you will probably pull it off okay. I vote do it. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Edit: When I was thinking about doing this I was going to do the side moldings, window trim and JDM bumpers flat black and the body matte olive drab. I'm not a fan of the green camo and would have gone for the WWII Willis Jeep type of look but the Lambo in urban camo looks cool and I could see that working on a VR4 too, so I hope Mark decides to progress with that idea.

Last edited:

mikus

^ I was actually thinking about that one you posted in the other thread (the 2 tone green) - went from there to a green/dark gray two tone like earlier Honda Elements have - then to olive drab. You started this buddy

yea haters would hate. The wife actually said she'd prefer full camo (she's a gun nut) I'm not going full camo. You never go full camo.

cheekychimp

LOL I was too slow. Read my edit, it sounds like we may really be thinking alike. That said, I actually do really like that green two tone car. I have posted it up a few times and now that I won't be doing that colour scheme having sold the car that was that colour, I'd like to see someone do that.

Last edited:

curtis

Why not just get vinyl and wrap it there is bunches of different camo patterns and could get the new dot matrix digital in what ever color you want and if you don't like it pull it off with a hair dryer. I wore olive drab flight suits, BDU's and the aircrew BDU's for 6 years and the green gets old.

vtecds1

Chicago1

Quoting 3of1000:
I would just respray it BG. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I agree

BrandonEchols

I say go for it.
I really like to two-tone green car that Paul's posted up before.
Although I think I'd VERY seriously consider the wrap.
3M makes a film called Di-Noc, that goes on with a heat gun and can literally wrap around basically any shape (I've seen a motorcycle helmet done with this stuff), I would still sand/prep before wrapping, but it'll save you from having to use a paintbooth, and wet sanding, etc.
But I might do the front (and possibly rear) bumper in flat black, or hell, maybe even the whole lower section like that other car.
I think it'd look good.

RedTwo

You're making a drift project right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
Anything with this kind of paint job (currently one of the cheapest colours available) ends up being sold on as "unfinished project, just needs...." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

fuel

am I the only one who is thinking "hell YES!"?

Too many narrow minded people here! Just my opinion of course.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned