The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Debating on building head or whole engine?

Boostdtalon

ok the engine that is in 192 right now needs the head rebuilt. I have another engine i pulled from a GSX that i will be doing a full build on overtime. But right now i'm comtemplating having the extra head rebuilt and maybe tossing in some cams. than putting it on the engine thats in it now so i can drive it minus the smoke.this would allow me to drive the car and work on the other parts of the car for now. id rather put money into fixing paint, the interior and improving the suspension alot more than making power. i also want to get my turbo kit together so i can get rid of this stupid T25 that was put on by the previos owner after his holset blew it's center cartridge. it has a punishment racing O2 dump that opens at 5 psi. I've juggled this around in my head enough and i guess i'm looking for opinions more than anything.

JSchleim18

As long as the bottom end is healthy I wouldn't touch it. If the balance shaft elimination hasn't been done you can do that now. Also, do the timing belt since the head is going to be off. Put some ARP headstuds and a Mitsu MLS headgasket on there and enjoy it.

+1, the bottom ends are capable of holding enough power for a DD. Jschleim covered the rest.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Do a leak down test before you tear it down.

If there's no appreciable leakage past the rings on an engine that's at operating temp, you're good to go.

Last edited:

Boostdtalon

Yeah I had plans to do the leak down test before hand. I'm going by the machine shop today to talk to them about getting the work done. Well the PO told
me the balance shafts had been removed and that it has ARP's. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Boostdtalon

ok well i talked with the machine shop today and got a price for labor. Not a bad price at all. just need to acquire the parts for the head and get it to them.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts