The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Best size turbo

Steve885

I have a 2.3 stroked bored 20 over with a 60 trim turbo...now I'm not a guru like some of u folks so seeking some advise.. but it seems like this turbo might be a little big, it kicks in around 3500 and pulls like a beast..it's fun but not ideal for street. And there isn't a lot of open road around the area..thanks guys

tektic

Is this any turbo, or only dsm flange turbos?
At any price?
Every thread I read like this ends in 10 people saying mhi e316g.

5OF2k

That to me sounds reasonable, especially for everyday driving....?

What exactly are you looking to accomplish, BTW? You also have to keep in mind, that unless you go with a BB CHRA you're going to be sacrificing top-end power for quicker spool.

-Jake

Steve885

It's a Turbonetics T04E 60 trim vband flanged . I was told it was more
for a 500 hp set up

Last edited by a moderator:

dsm10o0

Throw in a td06/06h 20g and that would be a spool happy turbo.

Jesus_Negros

FP Green

JCorbo25

Quoting dsm10o0:
Throw in a td06/06h 20g and that would be a spool happy turbo.

20G would work well with the stroker.

Brianawd

gt30r

biglady112

I love how after all these years people still try and recommend a 20G turbo. Where are those even readily available? I sure don't see many for sale.

With that said, I agree with Brian. In a small T3 housing of course.

Last edited:

theevozero

My vote is with the e3 16g. Taking, price, availability, funtion, dependability and ease of installation all into account, this is by far the best option. What turbo lag?

citymunky

I had one for sale but nobody wanted it, so I kept it and rebuild it.

5OF2k

Quoting biglady112:
I love how after all these years people still try and recommend a 20G turbo. Where are those even readily available? I sure don't see many for sale.

With that said, I agree with Brian. In a small T3 housing of course.

2 FS now in CO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

LIV4PSI

Quoting TheEvoZero:
My vote is with the e3 16g. Taking, price, availability, funtion, dependability and ease of installation all into account, this is by far the best option. What turbo lag?

The price has almost doubled since a few years ago, and the availability has decreased a lot as well. It used to be the turbo the 95% of us should use. But given the price increase, I don't think its worth it anymore unless you can find a nice one used.

OP, 3.5k isn't laggy at all. That is a 3,500rpm power band.

Last edited:

James

I know of two 20g setups for sale in Florida and a 20g setup for sale in Carolinas

theevozero

You are correct. But good used turbo's are available. I have run across a number of them myself. I actually have a brand new one sitting on my shelf.

Quoting Steve001:
I have a 2.3 stroked bored 20 over with a 60 trim turbo...now I'm not a guru like some of u folks so seeking some advise.. but it seems like this turbo might be a little big, it kicks in around 3500 and pulls like a beast..it's fun but not ideal for street. And there isn't a lot of open road around the area..thanks guys

Sounds like you could benefit from some tuning, messing with timing tables etc can cut down on the lag by a lot. Also does that turbo you're running require an oil restrictor? Feeding it a sh*t ton of oil can make it spool slower and kill the turbo prematurely as well. I personally don't think a 60 trim is too big, I have ran several different set ups and all of them had there up sides.

curtis

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned