The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ball joint retaining clip

moduleunknown

Before I go trying to smash this thing on out of frustration, can anyone tell me the proper way to get this clip on? Is there some tool I can get to spread it? If so, what the heck is it called? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Muskrat

Those are a bitch. I think the replacement joints I used came with large snap rings. 10x easier. yo might try that route if you can't get it. And industrial supply store would be your best bet for finding them.

Otherwise, try using a pair of needle nose pliers to separate them what you put it on from the top and slide it down the body of the joint. Snap ring pliers would work too, and might be easier.

Last edited:

Barnes

Buy some external snap ring pliers (bigger ones) at the auto parts store or sears. It will make the job 100x easier.

grocery_getter

Snap ring pliers are pretty much going to be non effective against that because of how wide the actual ring is. When you try to use a snap ring pliers it will not be able to load the ring open enough to clear the upper lip of the balljoint body. And even if you did it, it will open up the ring too big permanently to fit tightly on the grove.

Best way is to hook one edge into the groove and walk the rest of the ring into the groove with a screwdriver and hammer, if you have to.

Barnes

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Worked for me, but Andre certainly works on these cars WAAAAAYYY more than myself.

moduleunknown

Snap ring pliers weren't helping any, so I came up with a plan B. Build a tool...

Wire strippers...

Take off a few parts, grind down the ends, grind the inside a bit so you can squeeze further and spread the ring wide enough...

Installed both clips in under a minute. DONE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NateCrisman

nothing more satisfying than making your on tools for a specific use.

Barnes

So did it go over okay without getting stretched? That is the problem with these things, you can't over expand them. Is it tight around the ball joint?

moduleunknown

Yup, it's on tight. Spread it just enough to slide down the side and it snapped right into place when it got to the groove.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I didn't have a problem using my external type pliers that I bought when I rebuilt my transmission.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned